Christopher McQuarrie and his cast talk about bringing 'Jack Reacher' to life
Will Lee Child's fans accept a radical revamp of the pulp hero?
When you're doing interviews for "Jack Reacher" and Jack Reacher isn't part of those interviews, it's a little weird.
In this case, though, Tom Cruise is the one playing Jack Reacher, and Tom Cruise does the press Tom Cruise chooses to do. That's David Letterman and Jimmy Fallon, not a whole parade of junket press on a Sunday in New York.
Instead, we sit down with David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike, both charming professionals who play key roles in the film, and we sit down with writer/director Christopher McQuarrie, who is responsible for adapting one of the biggest names in current publishing and trying to turn it into a viable film franchise, and those conversations are what I'm going to share with you today.
To be honest, though, I think sitting down with McQuarrie was more than worth attending the press day. He's charted a very difficult path as a working screenwriter in the years since "The Usual Suspects" came out, and this is probably not where he expected to end up. It's certainly not what I would have predicted for him even five years ago, but it seems like he's in the middle of a career reinvention, and Tom Cruise appears to be a key part of that puzzle for him.
I reviewed "Jack Reacher" a few days ago, and I think he did a pretty great job of making a solid, unpretentious, unapologetic star-driven action movie that does a reasonably strong job of adapting everything I like about the books by Lee Child. Not everyone who is familiar with the books is going to be willing to accept a Jack Reacher who is not 6'6" and built like a building. I thought for sure it would be more of a problem for me, but McQuarrie adapted most of what I considered essential about the character, and the attitude of the film won me over in the end.
Oyelowo is having a pretty great winter, between this film and his role in "Lincoln," and he's one of those character actors who seems to be building up a momentum right now. Pike does a nice job in the film playing Cruise's partner in the instigation, and I like that she's not a love interest. She's just a lawyer trying to do the right thing and, in the process, piss her dad off as much as possible, and I like that McQuarrie didn't also force a love story in where it wouldn't belong.
"Jack Reacher" opens everywhere tomorrow.
News From Our Partners
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
Simon Pegg is still jumping fencesWednesday, May 22, 2013
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013