Ben Stiller talks about the progress on 'Zoolander 2'
It sounds like progress is being made on the long-anticipated sequel
When I sat down with the cast of "The Watch," they were all together as a group, which made it hard to ask people about their individual projects.
Even so, I was curious to see if Ben Stiller is any closer to kicking off production on "Zoolander 2," which he's been aggressively talking about on and off for the last few years. The first film was a casualty of its post-9/11 release date, only finding an audience gradually once it came home. That's not uncommon for comedies, especially comedies that are centered around big character choices. Look at the way the "Austin Powers" films built in popularity, or the way "Macgruber" continues to gain in popularity over time.
"Zoolander" is one of the strangest characters that Stiller ever played, and it will be interesting to see if a second film can take all the things people liked about that first film and expand on them in smart and surprising ways. He's been working with Justin Theroux on a script for a while now, and we've heard occasional updates from him about the progress.
When I asked him about the film, he seemed happy to offer an update, which you'll see in the video I've embedded above. What you won't see is his update after the interview about a third "Night At The Museum" film, which he said is also starting to come together. He offered me that because we talked about how much my sons love those movies and how they've created a whole new generation of fans for Stiller. I also spoke to Richard Ayoade about "Garth Merenghi's Darkplace," a British comedy show that I adore, and he told me it's exceptionally unlikely we'll ever see new episodes of that.
I'm sure I could have also asked Jonah Hill about the "21 Jump Street" sequel that seems inevitable at this point, but when you're dealing with such a tight turnaround, I always try to keep the focus on the film we're actually there to discuss, and you'll see the rest of the conversation later tonight, with Hill, Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and Ayoade together.
"The Watch" opens on Friday.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
17 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- Podmass: David Sedaris describes his bath time, cicadas are explained, and Wompler returns Interview: Mitchell Hurwitz talks about the resurrection of Arrested Development AVQ&A: What pop-culture family would you want to join?
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013
Two of the supporting characters from the trilogy weigh in on saying goodbyeWednesday, May 22, 2013