Ben Kingsley ladles on the menace in a new 'Iron Man 3' Mandarin character poster
The Mandarin isn't what he was, and he may not be what he seems
If The Mandarin is going to work as the villain in "Iron Man 3," he's going to have to be a fairly radical reinvention of the character that has traditionally appeared in the pages of the Marvel comics. It goes beyond the obvious issue of him being a sort of oddly dated "Yellow Menace" character, and it's more about the fact that villainy in the 21st century looks very different because the world itself has changed.
Ben Kingsley's take on The Mandarin is, before anything else, media-savvy. He's a television terrorist, a guy whose every accessory, whose look and voice and mannerisms are all created, calculated, part of an image that he's trying to project. He is a brilliant tactician, but that's not just about military strength or being able to reach out and, oh, I don't know… blow Tony Stark's house right off the side of the mountain where it sits. His strength comes from his complete lack of fear, his determination to use every single tool available to reshape the world to his will.
You've seen a wee tiny bit of The Mandarin in the trailers so far, and I've seen just a week bit more of his work than that, but Marvel's still playing him close to the vest. He's not the only bad guy in the film, of course, but he is the most overt bad guy in the film. More than that, he's one of the most overt bad guys in any of the Marvel movies so far, because that's what he's designed to be. He is meant to be a symbol of chaos and fear and everything that the Marvel universe heroes are trying to stop.
I think the more married you are to an idea of who the character is already, the more likely you are to be disappointed by the way Shane Black and Drew Pearce have reconfigured him. The less hardline your concept is, the more likely you are to be open to this interpretation. I like the idea that every ring on every finger, every sartorial choice, his hair, his voice… it's all an act. It's all a creation, and it's all designed to simply push an agenda.
How will The Mandarin be connected to Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) and the work he's doing with Maya Hansen? And how does Tony Stark end up cut off from everyone, forced once again to use his brain to figure a way out of trouble?
We'll find out when "Iron Man 3" arrives in theaters on May 3, 2013.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
- Interview: Arrested Development’s Jeffrey Tambor on the show’s return and inevitable movie Gateways To Geekery: An initiation into the psychedelic sci-fi rock of Hawkwind Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013
Two of the supporting characters from the trilogy weigh in on saying goodbyeWednesday, May 22, 2013
Simon Pegg is still jumping fencesWednesday, May 22, 2013