Arnold Schwarzenegger and Johnny Knoxville discuss their unlikely partnership in 'The Last Stand'
Everything about this makes me smile
I've been interviewing Johnny Knoxville for what seems like a decade now, and living in LA, I find that I run into him on a fairly regular basis just out and about. Perhaps because of the hyper-casual nature of "Jackass," he never seemed like a celebrity, but more like a friend who just happens to have a TV show. That's part of the appeal of that program, and Knoxville is one of the easiest guys to talk to about his work that I've ever met.
Arnold Schwarzenegger, on the other hand, is someone I've watched my whole life but who I never had reason to meet until last week. Then, in one quick burst of three days, I rode a tank that he was driving, saw his new film "The Last Stand," and then sat down to interview him for the first time. I could have happily spent a half hour talking to him by himself, but of course, that's not how these press days are set up.
Instead, you walk in, you get your four or five minutes, and then you're done. And in this case, I had two people in one room. Thankfully, the pairing of Knoxville and Schwarzenegger is just weird enough to be really entertaining, and the film they both star in surprised me enormously.
As a result, we had a fun, loose conversation, and I think the photo my editor sent over as a screen cap to use on this article pretty much sums it up. Knoxville is a guy who takes great delight in the life he's leading, and he seemed more than aware of how bizarre it is that he's in an action film with one of the biggest icons of action cinema. He demonstrated a real sense of self-awareness in our chat.
And then there's Arnold, who is exactly what I hoped he'd be. He's not trying to fool anyone about his age, and he's also aware that he's been away from film for a while. It seems strange to describe Arnold as "modest," but the conversation we had seemed to me like he knows that there's no guarantee that the audience is still waiting for him. I also like how enthusiastic he is about Kim Jee-Woon, the Korean filmmaker who helmed "The Last Stand."
I'll have a few more interviews from this one, and "The Last Stand" opens in theaters everywhere on January 18th.
News From Our Partners
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Plus he describes how he's like his character in the filmsMonday, May 20, 2013