'Star Trek Into Darkness' teaser gives a first look at the sequel
Lots of big images for a very short glimpse
It seems like the release of the blockbuster trailers has now become a two-stage process, because it generates twice the conversation on sites like ours and twice the opportunities for people to become aware of the upcoming film.
Tonight, Paramount is releasing an "announcement video" to tell you that on December 17th, there will be a teaser trailer for the film. That's exactly five months before the opening of the film, and seems like a perfect date to kick things off.
At least we're finally seeing footage. This coming week, I'll see the nine-minute presentation that will be in front of "The Hobbit," and I'm also doing some other press event stuff that should answer a whole lot of the questions I have about what this film will cover and who Benedict Cumberbatch plays and all sorts of things. But for now, this 60 seconds of "Star Trek Into Darkness" will be heavily scrutinized and discussed and debated, and Paramount will indeed get to dominate the conversation on Thursday even without putting out the full trailer.
UPDATE: I'm putting a short piece at the end of this based on the Japanese language version of the trailer which is also available today, and for those of you who are spoiler-adverse, please be warned. I don't know anything about the new film for sure, but there's an image there that is pretty hard to miss, and it's worth a little bit of discussion.
So what do we get to see today? Take a look in the video updated at the top of this post.
Okay... for a teaser to a teaser, that's actually pretty good. Still no idea who Cumberbatch is playing, although "I will have my vengeance" sorta sounds like something Khan would say. There's a sense that the scale is much bigger this time, and some great imagery like the Enterprise evidently coming out of the ocean at one point. I like that we see some alien landscapes, and I hope that even if this is very serious and dangerous, there's still a sense of humor like in the first film. They got that right, and they made it fun, and so many blockbusters take themselves so seriously these days that I want "Star Trek" to stay fun.
UPDATE CONTINUED: Okay, so the Japanese language trailer is basically identical, but at the very end of it, there's a little bit more footage, and there's one image in particular that would seem to strongly STRONGLY hint that (A) this is Khan and (B) there's a similar ending to this film.
That can't be what they've got planned, though, right? There's no way JJ would tip his hand this early if it really is the end of the movie, and if it's not, then he's just playing fans, and I'm excited to see what this really refers to.
Either way, based on this first glimpse, I am confident they know what they're doing and that we'll be wowed come May, but tell me what you thought. If you're a hardcore "Trek" fan, does this inspire you?
You can "Star Trek Into Darkness" on May 17, 2013.
News From Our Partners
- WATCH: Gay Protest Turns Into Fashion Show What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' Game Of Desks Is HERE!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig Did Justin Bieber Get a Kitten? [Pics]
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
And if so, what does his character name suggest for the future?Saturday, May 25, 2013
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013