'Glee' recap: 'Dynamic Duets'
Not really a Thanksgiving episode, just an episode that airs on Thanksgiving
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'll restrict this week's recap to the things I enjoyed about "Dynamic Duets."
Unlike the last two weeks, there were actually a few things I liked about this episode -- written and directed by Ian Brennan, who brought just a little bit more imagination and energy to the proceedings than we saw in back-to-back duds "The Role You Were Born to Play" and "Glease." Still, the hour was entirely devoid of New York scenes and far too eager to foreground characters who don't deserve the spotlight.
Anyway, the positives: There was a solid five minute section in the second half of the episode devoted almost exclusively to the budding friendship between Blaine and Sam. Blaine explained exactly what happened when he cheated on Kurt (it was a random Facebook hookup, Blaine regretted it immediately and it only strengthened his feelings for Kurt) and then Darren Criss and Chord Overstreet sang David Bowie's "Heroes" with all the charisma and conviction one would expect from actors worthy of prominent roles on weekly television.
While it's easy to buy 30-year-old Cory Monteith taking on a leadership role, it's still hard to swallow a roughly 19-year-old Finn Hudson so suddenly thrust into command of the glee club. I've never been one to hold "Glee" to the standards of docudrama, it usually spoils the fun, but this is clearly a case of writers struggling to find a way to keep both Finn and McKinley front and center on the show and feels misguided on both counts. But elevating Finn to New Directions leader does prove how unnecessary Matthew Morrison's Will Schuester has become (the only teacher we saw this week was Dot-Marie Jones' Coach Bieste, which was just fine) and provided us with one endearingly dopey moment when Finn pitched his Foreigner idea for Sectionals.
Overstreet showed off a mighty fine impression of Tom Hardy's Bane from "The Dark Knight Rises."
Heather Morris had a funny line! "You guys, I don't smell raspberry hair gel. Does anybody know where Blaine Warbler is?"
And that's pretty much it. Next week is "Glee's" actual "Thanksgiving" episode featuring the first trip to Sectionals for the awful new New Directions. Also, the return of Sarah Jessica Parker and Dianna Agron (among others). Let's hope they're reasons to be thankful.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
The "Argo" actor/director joins the Five-Timers Club in the season finale.Saturday, May 18, 2013
The former "SNL" great returns to host for the first time.Saturday, May 11, 2013
Is the third time hosting the show the charm for the star of "The Hangover Part III"?Saturday, May 4, 2013
After this finale, will you be saying "Nevermore"?Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013