Top 10 Best Albums Of 2012: Fiona Apple, Kendrick Lamar, Swans, Miguel
Where do Death Grips, Grizzly Bear and Frank Ocean land on Immaculate Noise's list?
If there had to be any trend from my top 10 albums from 2012, the word of the year would be "lean." I admire the understated displays of self-editing. Fiona Apple's album didn't have a note or breath wasted; Miguel's tracklist was tidy, whereas Frank Ocean could learn to trim; Kendrick Lamar and Killer Mike ably balanced comedy and drama with carefully selected words; and mostly-instrumentals like Swans, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and the Dirty Three sequenced those excesses into something tangible and rare.
Other trends: I fell in love with very few country and Americana albums this year, though there will be plenty of those artists that dominate my songs lists. I did, however, fall in love with Emeli Sande, who is clearly the Real Deal. So is How to Dress Well, who broke my heart 10 different ways. I don't think Tallest Man on Earth or Grizzly Bear can make a bad album. Hundred Waters -- who were the first signees to Skrillex's label -- surprised the hell out of me and I hope the hype index of the IDM poster-child won't have a negative impact on their future successes. Matthew Dear, Goat, Burial and Diiv make dark-rooms music.
You can hear samples of most of these albums -- if not just most all of the artists -- on Immaculate Noise's 2012 Top Albums Spotify list.
Some people make great collections of songs, and some artists make albums. Here are 30 of my favorite albums from 2012, with their artists, because 30 is a nice round number...
- Fiona Apple, "The Idler Wheel…"
- Matthew Dear, "Beams"
- Emeli Sande, "Our Version of Events"
- Kendrick Lamar, "good kid, M.A.A.d city"
- Swans, "The Seer"
- Miguel, "Kaleidescope Dream"
- Killer Mike, "R.A.P. Music"
- Godspeed You! Black Emporer, "Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!"
- Hundred Waters, "Hundred Waters"
- Dwight Yoakam, "3 Pears"
- How To Dress Well, "Total Loss"
- Dirty Three, "Toward the Low Sun"
- Thee Oh Sees, "Putrifiers II"
- Goat, "World Music"
- Diamond Rugs, "Diamond Rugs"
- Metz, "Metz"
- Death Grips, "No Love Deep Web
- Beth Jeans Houghton & The Hooves of Destiny, "Yours Truly, Cellophane Nose"
- Frank Ocean, "Channel Orange"
- Tame Impala, "Lonerism"
- Sean Price, "Mic Tyson"
- ***CHEATERS ADDITION" Polica, "Give You The Ghost" (technically late 2011, mass distro in 2012)
- Titus Andronicus, "Local Business"
- Tallest Man on Earth, "There's No Leaving Now"
- The Chariot, "One Wing"
- Jamey Johnson, "Living for a Song: Tribute to Hank Cochran"
- Diiv, "Oshin"
- Grizzly Bear, "Shields"
- Graveyard, "Lights Out"
- Japandroids, "Celebration Rock"
News From Our Partners
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- 'The Lone Ranger' Trailer: The Rise of an American Legend 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013