Tom Waits and Keith Richards' swarthy cover of 'Shenandoah': Listen
Sea chantey album gets a bawler
You can't have a sea chantey without the term "swarthy," can you? To acquiesce to the aural demands of a pirate ballad collection is Tom Waits and Rolling Stones' Keith Richards, gently and collectively covering "Shenandoah."
The folk classic is included on "Son Of Rogues Gallery," the sequel, as it were, to 2006's "Rogues Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs, and Chanteys"; it's out Feb. 19 via Waits' label ANTI-.
The first double-CD set featured songs from Richard Thompson and Nick Cave. This newest double-album edition contains "Shenandoah," plus covers from Iggy Pop, Nick Cave, Patti Smith, Sean Lennon, Shane McGowan (see below) and more.
Richards and Waits were featured together on another recent set: on Waits' 2011 album "Bad As Me," the two combined on four much more rockin' originals, including epic "Hell Broke Luce" and Rolling Stones-nodding "Satisfied."
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013