Pulp and James Murphy combine for new music 'After You': Listen
LCD Soundsystem frontman reportedly helping on Arcade Fire's next album
Pulp gave you what you really wanted on Christmas Day. The British rockers released a new song, "After You," a collaboration with former LCD Soundsystem frontman James Murphy at midnight on Dec. 25 this week.
It's not a stretch to say the tune may remind you of Franz Ferdinand -- Pulp were influential in that Scottish band's output, and the rhythm section now has a modern spin on the classic Pulp sound. "After You," in fact, is an old Pulp demo, re-done as of last month with Murphy's thumbprint very obviously on the beat.
The band and Murphy combined just this fall for the S.S. Coachella, the music festival's foray into a floating event via cruise. According to Pitchfork, the decade-old song never had a finished version until everybody hit the studio in November.
Pulp teased the release with Christmas/download cards handed out at their show in Sheffield, England last month. It became active on the holiday.
Pulp have no other tour dates planned and haven't made clear whether they intend to make more new music. Murphy, meanwhile, is reportedly helping out on three or so songs for Arcade Fire's next album, according to the Montreal band's manager Scott Rodger to MusicWeek.
News From Our Partners
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Jared Leto takes a turn at shaman-Jesus, againTuesday, May 21, 2013
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013