Paul McCartney and Nirvana members play new song from 'Sound City' documentary
'Cut Me Some Slack' will be featured on 'Real to Reel' soundtrack
In what was the worst-kept secret on 12-12-12, Paul McCartney did indeed take the stage with the surviving members of Nirvana for the Sandy charity concert. However, fans of the Beatles star or of Dave Grohl, Pat Smear and Krist Novoselic may not recognize the song they played together.
The track is called "Cut Me Some Slack," and was apparently created during a collaboration for Grohl's forthcoming documentary "Sound City." It's definitely a mix of penchant McCartney melody, a heavy rhythm section( just like the Foos frontman likes it) and a heavy dose of that grunge music the kids are always talking about.
Immediately following the rather impressive performance from the quartet, the "Sound City" Twitter account and website released a short clip of audio from the recording, made in California studio after which the film is named. You can hear it below.
"Sound City - Real to Reel" is a compilation described as "music from and inspired by the film," with release date TBA. As for the film -- Grohl's directorial debut -- it gets a premiere at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival (Jan. 17-27) and release on DVD on Feb. 1.
Other artists to feature in the film include Tom Petty, Trent Reznor, Rick Rubin and the ilk, so it should be pretty interesting to see what other combinations Grohl came up with on-screen and on-tape. For now we have... Nirveatle? Paulvana? McGrohl? Kurt Cobain was a big Beatles fan, so we'd like to think he'd approve.
Grohl and Novoselic have combined only a scant few times in the years following Cobain's death. Last year, they celebrated the 20th anniversary of Nirvana's "Nevermind" last year. In April this year, "Nevermind" producer Butch Vig had mentioned he had combined with Grohl and Novoselic and a "special guest" for an unnamed project... so now we know who's likely produced "Cut Me Some Slack" along with just who the "special guest" was.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013