Metric's 'Youth Without Youth' music video is a slow-motion parade
Single from 'Synthetica,' out today
Metric's "Youth Without Youth" from brand new "Synthetica" is the sound of disenchantment and a riot to the sound of a Gary Glitter beat. The video is pretty contained, but has many of the same emotional elements.
Lead singer Emily Haines and her bandmates are featured in shots in-between slow-motion of the old and young doing unexpected and unsettling things. For instance, stacking tires to knock them down? Stacking cakes on top of each other in the same manner? Both mischievous, both unexplained. It's a mystifying but visually interesting take on the song, which features an upbeat tempo opposite of the clip's measured snapshot plod.
It was directed by designer/photographer Justin Broadbent, and "blends the old with the new through imagery of themes present throughout Synthetica while simultaneously and subtly referencing moments throughout Metric's career," according to a release. Can you name those "moments?"
"Synthetica" dropped today, with more information on the effort here. You can stream the album in its entirety here.
Tour dates below the video.
Here are Metric's tour dates:
09.06.12 - Water Street Music Hall - Rochester, NY
09.08.12 - The Fillmore - Detroit, MI
09.09.12 - Madison Theatre - Covington, KY
09.11.12 - State Theatre - Minneapolis, MN
09.14.12 - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville, TN
09.17.12 - The Fillmore - Charlotte, NC
09.18.12 - Stage AE - Pittsburgh, PA
09.20.12 - Orpheum Theatre - Boston, MA
09.21.12 - The Strathmore - Washington, DC
09.22.12 - Tower Theater - Philadelphia, PA
09.23.12 - Radio City Music Hall - New York, NY
09.27.12 - Hard Rock - Orlando, FL
09.28.12 - The Fillmore - Miami, FL
09.29.12 - The Ritz - Tampa, FL
10.01.12 - Tabernacle - Atlanta, GA
10.02.12 - The Pageant - St. Louis, MO
10.04.12 - Ogden Theatre - Denver, CO
10.05.12 - The Depot - Salt Lake City, UT
10.06.12 - House of Blues - Las Vegas, NV
10.09.12 - The Greek Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
10.10.12 - Marquee Theatre - Tempe, AZ
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013