Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj Grammy snub controversies: Dispute won't die
Scooter Braun clarifies he wasn't 'mad'; Minaj's manager calls bull; Dave Grohl has a laugh
On Wednesday, the nominees for Grammy's 81 categories were announced, but fan favorites Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj weren't among the hundreds of names. Those two artists have been mum on the social networks since then (so far), but their managers are having none of it (so far).
Biebs' manager Scooter Braun, as previously reported, had some choice words for the Recording Academy the day following the announcements. "U blew it." But rather than being angry about the no-nods, Braun told Billboard he was just "voicing my opinion," man.
"I wasn't mad, just voicing my opinion," Braun said. "I saw a lot of chatter online and made a comment. I don't think there was anything wrong with any other nomination. I just felt Justin deserved to be acknowledged."
He further articulated why he was totally not mad.
"If he was 35, he'd be nominated in numerous categories... When you are so much younger than your industry peers, you tend to be overlooked," he said. "If you want to see me mad, read my Jets tweets -- read what I have to say about my favorite football team."
Meanwhile, Nicki Minaj's co-manager and Lil Wayne's manager Cortez Bryant called Nicki's snub some straight-up "bullsh*t."
They was on some bullshit for not nominating @nickiminaj— Cortez Bryant (@CortezBryant) December 6, 2012
Minaj has been mum on Twitter since Dec. 5, last promoting her new lip color for a popular cosmetics maker, and Bieber has spent the rest of this week not being mad and workin in the studio on a follow-up to his popular set "Believe." Both artists have garnered nominations in the past, so better luck next year.
But maybe Dave Grohl -- of all people -- has the last word. He guest-hosted "Chelsea Lately" last night and provided a little commentary.
"I like him, too. I think that if I were 18 or 19 years old and had $100 million, I would look exactly like that," Grohl, who is gorgeous, said. He did, however, submit that Bieber's concert presentations would suffer were he to sing live all the time, otherwise it'd sound like the heavy breathing of a dying man. Perhaps a 35-year-old?
All this being said, I hope this doesn't become a trend. Snubs are the regular, and while Bieber and MInaj have put time into helping the Grammys as an institution, it's voters have spoken. And they'd rather have a hack in the Best Dance Recording category than they would put Bieber in a pop category.
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013