Jonny Greenwood's score of 'The Master': Listen to a track
Radiohead sound-maker pairs with Paul Thomas Anderson yet again
Judging from all the trailers of "The Master," some of the themes seem to be dealing with the disorienting feeling that down is up, and what you know is never the full truth. And listening to a bit of Jonny Greenwood's work for the film, the score will be rolling with that tide.
"Application 45 Version 1" is the track that you'll get if you pre-order Nonesuch's Sept. 11 drop of the soundtrack to the Paul Thomas Anderson film. And it'll have you poking around for the downbeat, wondering if it's minor or major and generally exciting the jitters that are beyond your 4 p.m. cup of caffeine. The cello is enough to give you goosebumps.
This is the second time Greenwood and Anderson have teamed up, after their phenomenal combination on "There Will Be Blood": the score to that film was ruled ineligible for a soundtrack Academy Award, as it included previously recorded material. However, it did earn a Grammy nod for Best Score Soundtrack but lost out to "The Dark Knight" because, man, seriously.
Something tells me Greenwood has his lesson learned and has conjured some all-original, newly recorded hauntings for this guy: he probably wants that nomination. In Contention is surmising that it's... already in contention, up against, perhaps, Mychael Danna's "Life of Pi" and John Wiliams' "Lincoln" scores.
"The Master," starring Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman, is out in theaters on Sept. 14 and has already screened in Chicago and Santa Monica.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
over 1 year ago
over 1 year ago
|Discuss Awards General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013