Green Day and Tenacious D added to SXSW lineup
Pop-punk band embracing club shows, plan arenas in wake of Armstrong's rehab
The trio (plus, y'know, their tour backers and crew) will hit ACL Live on March 15, at the end of the same week Green Day docs "Cuatro!" and "Broadway Idiot" premiere during the film component to South By Southwest.
The band is playing three warm-ups in Texas/the Southwest at smaller spots, you can see all scheduled tour dates below.
Green Day had previously canceled their 2012/2013 tour dates due to frontman Bille Joe Armstrong's stint to rehab. Don't doubt that will play a significant part at least in the discussions around "Cuatro!" which chronicles the making-of the band's trilogy albums from 2012.
Meanwhile, another rowdy crew will be invading the Texas capitol: Tenacious D will be on-hand to support web comedy series "Ghost Ghirls," which is centered on "the comedic antics of two young female ghostbusters, played by Amanda Lund and Maria Blasucci--a pair of investigators attempting to solve the mysteries behind paranormal phenomena. At the same time, they attempt to convince their clients, some other-worldly visitors and themselves, that they are legit."
The D's Jack Black makes a cameo in the 12-episode, scripted show, which is headed to Yahoo! Screen. There is a watch party scheduled at SXSW on March 13, with Black and Tenacious D cohort Kyle Gass scheduled to comedy-rock.
And speaking of comedy, recently the fest unveiled the comedy lineup, with stand-up, sketch and improv superstars. Fred Armisen, Scott Aukerman, W. Kamau Bell, Michael Cera, Brett Gelman, Chris Gethard, Tim & Eric, Emily Heller, Moshe Kasher, Kyle Kinane, Ken Marino, Marc Maron, Eugene Mirman, Eddie Pepitone, Sarah Silverman, Jenny Slate, Aisha Tyler, Reggie Watts and many, many more performers are on tap for the fest, which runs over the film, interactive and music dates, March 8-16. However, most headlining comedy events will run over March 9-12.
Here are all of Green Day's currently scheduled tour dates:
11th Tempe, AZ The Marquee**
13th El Paso, TX Tricky Falls**
28th Rosemont, IL Allstate Arena
News From Our Partners
- Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6: Kurt Sutter to Launch 'Talking Dead'-Style Companion Piece? The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
DJ Jazzy Jeff and Carlton stop by the 'Graham Norton' show: FabulousFriday, May 24, 2013
A history lesson and a 'Lucky' startFriday, May 24, 2013
Human time-lapseThursday, May 23, 2013
Ball's in your court, Bruce DickinsonThursday, May 23, 2013