Grammy Awards: Mumford & Sons movie and Rihanna win video categories
'Big Easy Epress' amps Old Crow Medicine Show and Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
LOS ANGELES -- In the first two awards issued today for the 55th annual Grammy Awards, two of the biggest nominees from the night already run away with wins. The clip for Rihanna's "We Found Love" featuring Calvin Harris won Best Short Form Music Video, while "Big Easy Express" -- featuring Mumford & Sons, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Old Crow Medicine Show -- earned Best Long Form Music Video.
The former was directed by Melina Matsoukas with Juliette Larth & Ben Sullivan as its producers. Rihanna, however, wasn't on hand to accept the award, which made its bow first at 1:10 p.m. PST. The pop superstar is probably busy getting ready for the big show tonight.
Watch the Best Music Video nominees for the 55th Grammy Awards
Foster the People, Watch the Throne, Rihanna and... who else?
55th Grammy Awards - winners and nominees
All of the major categories as they are announced
Director Emmett Malloy was around for his honors helming "Big Easy Express," which followed the Mumfords, Edward Sharpe and Old Crow around on their short stint touring from a locomotive around the South and Southwest United States.
"Thank you to the bands for letting us join a pretty remarkable trip that will be etched in my head forever," Mallow said in his acceptance. "The country we live in, I've never seen so beautifully than on a train."
Malloy was also keenly aware but thankful that he got his prize early, when fewer eyes were watching, as he thanked his family for coming to the pre-tel ceremony to "to support it like its the real deal."
Rihanna was up against short vids from Foster The People, Watch the Throne, M.I.A. and Woodkid for her honor. The dramatic clip seemed to have more of a story line to it than some of the other nominees except "Houdini," but maybe its just that drama wins over comedy here this year.
The competition against "Big Easy Express" included films from Sade, Esperanza Spalding, Tegan & Sara and U2, with the latter having the star power of Davis Guggenheim behind the camera. Perhaps the Mumfords-led win is indicative of more big wins to come?
News From Our Partners
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
Human time-lapseThursday, May 23, 2013
Ball's in your court, Bruce DickinsonThursday, May 23, 2013
Fire!Thursday, May 23, 2013
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013