Fantastic Fest photos: 'Miami Connection's Dragon Sound reunion, karaoke, costumes
The sound of a band with only two songs
AUSTIN -- Not very many people have seen "Miami Connection," but it basically represents why people come to Fantastic Fest every year. The B-movie -- picked up by Drafthouse films for a 25th anniversary re-release -- is a clunky, hilarious and surprisingly moving film by the end. In it is an inexplicably successful band Dragon Sound, led by the film's writer, director and lead actor Y.K. Kim. This band plays only two songs, and they both are melodically alike, and one is called "Against the Ninja." This gives you some idea what you're up, er, against: the looks, feels and sounds of 1987, through the film filter of a man and his martial arts.
"Miami Connection" didn't exactly blossom in its own time, but was heralded by audiences here at the 2012 festival, an appreciation completed by Dragon Sound's electric drum-laden reunion, complete with a fist-pumping "TAE KWON DO!" chant and a little help from the Alamo Drafthouse and Fantastic Fest staff. And, yes, those t-shirts are on sale.
Other weekend highlights included a Monsters' Ball costume contest, seeded in Tim Burton's "Frankenweenie!" premiere earlier in the evening on Thursday. Cue the long line of black and white patterns and dead-eyed dance floor struts. The Dragon Sound performance -- which, like the film, featured only two songs on repeat -- was supported by approximately three hours of fan- and organizer-driven karaoke performances at Asian Invasion: Chaos Reigns.
Check out HitFix's exclusive photos from those events below.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
over 1 year ago
over 1 year ago
|Discuss Film Festivals on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Rihanna Bares Butt on Instagram [Pic] Kid Ink to Release 'Almost Home' EP on May 28, Tour With Kendrick Lamar Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Jared Leto takes a turn at shaman-Jesus, againTuesday, May 21, 2013
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013