Dave Grohl's 'Sound City' documentary heading to 2013 Sundance Film Festival
'History of the Eagles' headed to Park City, too
In about six weeks, all the mysteries of Dave Grohl's "Sound City" documentary will be revealed, as it premieres at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival. The Foo Fighters frontman is taking his directorial debut to Park City, Utah for the event running Jan. 17-27.
The film chronicles the good times had at Sound City Studios, the Van Nuys, Calif., recording palace, its history, and "then explores the human element of music in an age of technology, and features performances of new music created exclusively for the film." Acts like Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Cheap Trick, Guns 'N Roses, Rage Against the Machine, Nine Inch Nails and Metallica have all recorded at Sound City; Grohl's previous, tiny little band Nirvana also laid down their album "Nevermind" there.
Grohl will be presenting the film with "select artists from the film"; a previously released teaser trailer shows footage of Petty, John Fogerty, Trent Reznor, producer Jim Scott and others, so the guest list in Park City should be interesting.
"As a first time director, I am humbled to be able to share my passion for songwriting and storytelling with this incredible cast of legendary musicians, as seen through the extraordinary story of America's greatest unsung recording studio, Sound City. Being included in this group of artists is a true honor, and the Sundance Film Festival is the perfect place to premiere a film about craft, integrity, and passion for art. I am over the moon!" Grohl said in a statement.
Roswell Films is distributing the film; it's a division of Roswell Records, which the Foo Fighters' music.
If you're looking for more of a gentle rocker at Sundance, the doc film "History of the Eagles" is also getting its premiere. According to a release, the movie "provides an intimate look into the history of the band and the legacy of their music," using "never-before-seen home movies, archival footage and new interviews with all current and former members of the Eagles." Considering how touchy they've been in the past on how the press uses their name, I'm curious why they let the usage of the term "the Eagles," well, fly.
"History of the Eagles" is directed by Allison Ellwood, who has produced other documentary subjects like "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room," "Brick City" and "Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson." She last directed the 2011 Ken Kesey doc "Magic Trip."
News From Our Partners
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013