Darlene Love and Merry Clayton talk taking 'Twenty Feet From Stardom' on tour
Director Morgan Neville hints at making his doc even more musical than it already is
PARK CITY, UTAH -- Not wanting "Twenty Feet From Stardom" to be over when it's over is a perfectly reasonable reaction to seeing the film. If, logistically, a few things fall into place, it doesn't have to be over.
The Sundance-premiered documentary was a hit as soon as it flared up on the screens in Park City this month, with Weinstein label Radius-TWC picking up the title in the first acquisition of the festival. The film featured several in-studio performances from greats like Darlene Love, Merry Clayton and Lisa Fischer, and the filmmakers even had two of those tracks pressed onto promotional 7" records.
And last week, for those who witnessed it, a quintet of those vocalists gave a "one-night-only" performance of "their" greatest hits -- tracks like the Stones' "Gimme Shelter" and the Crystals' "Da Doo Ron Ron" which depended heavily on those backing tracks -- and they took the house to church. For Love, Clayton, Fischer, Tata Vega and Judith Hill, they not earned their way into the spotlight, but they loved the material and seemingly each other.
Weinstein, Anchor Bay strike first on Sundance acquistions
'Twenty Feet From Stardom' and 'The Rambler' find homes
Speaking with me in Park City, "Twenty Feet" director Morgan Neville intimated that a series of live concerts could be in the works in supporting the film's theatrical release, said to be this summer. "I think they're ready... I think it's dawning on them that this is a special moment."
For Love and Clayton -- who swapped stories and overflowing enthusiasm for the final product during our chat -- they don't want to get their hopes too high, but if it "flows"... then more live music and perhaps even an album together could be in their collective future.
Watch the videos above and below. Do you think Bruce Springsteen, Mick Jagger, Sting and others could back them?
News From Our Partners
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013
In case you were wondering, he's talking about 'straight sex'Thursday, May 16, 2013
Singer reveals abusive relationship and 'bittersweet' feelings toward BeyonceWednesday, May 15, 2013
Watch the video to her cover of Eddie Vedder's 'Without You'Tuesday, May 14, 2013