Coldplay's 'Hurts Like Heaven' video previews 'Mylo Xyloto' comic book
Every hero needs an origin story
It was back in June that Coldplay announced they'd be releasing a comic book series based on their album "Mylo Xyloto." With the drop of the video for newest single "Hurts Like Heaven," the British band has opened up a sneak peek into its namesake's start.
The clip is composed of comics panels rendered into 3D views, but not animated in the traditional sense. It follows a fivesome of colorful mischief-makers, oppressed by the overlord Major Minus (which, notably, is the same name as one of the tracks on the album "Mylo Xyloto). They plaster the streets in graffiti as they're chased, with two of the leaders in love.
See, it seems Major Minus hates sound, color and love. You see how this love story may end. But every comic book hero needs an origin story. At the end, Mylo is made known.
The visuals aren't quite hand-in-hand with the music -- the track itself is one of those rainbow-dripping uplifting numbers -- but its all action-packed enough.
"Mylo Xyloto" the comic is a six-part series, and will be out starting in February through Matt Groening's Bongo Comics. It is written by Chris Martin and the rest of the band, plus "Kung Fu Panda" writer-director Mark Osborne. An all-ages affair, finally.
Coldplay are also preparing the release of "Live 2012," their concert DVD and album release due on Nov. 20.
News From Our Partners
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
A history lesson and a 'Lucky' startFriday, May 24, 2013
Human time-lapseThursday, May 23, 2013
Ball's in your court, Bruce DickinsonThursday, May 23, 2013
Fire!Thursday, May 23, 2013