Black Sabbath releasing first Ozzy Osbourne-led album in 35 years
'13' will not feature original member Bill Ward
For the first time in 35 years, Black Sabbath led by Ozzy Osbourne is releasing an album of new originals. Ozzy, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler combined with Rage Against the Machine drummer Brad Wilk and superstar producer Rick Rubin for "13," due in June.
It was announced in late 2011 that Sabbath was reuniting for some festival dates, along with the promise that a new set was happening. But then original drummer Bill Ward quit over a contract dispute, claiming he was being short-changed, and Tony Iommi continued hard into his struggle against lymphoma.
However, the band still managed to carve out time for "13," which is their first album with Ozzy at the helm since 1978's "Never Say Die!". Sabbath said in a statement that concerts for Australia, New Zealand and Japan are being plotted ahead of release.
For the past year, the band has complicated fans' excitement -- including mine -- over the reunion. The sour-tasting split with Ward was rumored to be spearheaded by Ozzy's wife and manager Sharon Osbourne, whose track-record as of late has been highlighted by a public feud with Lady Gaga, of all people. It doesn't feel like a true reunion especially when the claim that "we're all getting along famously" proved untrue in Ward's case; it's reminiscent of the tepid album release from the reunited Van Halen last year, softly and confusingly dampened by a subsequent cancellation of most of their tour dates.
"God Bless Ozzy Osbourne," a documentary headed up by the Osbournes' son Jack and directed by Mike Fleiss and Mike Piscitelli, was a great and very telling chronicle of Ozzy's life, now and then, exposing how marvelously he can his his notes and, sometimes, spectacularly lose them.
So, cautiously, we wait for June. Are you excited to hear "13?"
News From Our Partners
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6: Kurt Sutter to Launch 'Talking Dead'-Style Companion Piece? The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
DJ Jazzy Jeff and Carlton stop by the 'Graham Norton' show: FabulousFriday, May 24, 2013
A history lesson and a 'Lucky' startFriday, May 24, 2013
Human time-lapseThursday, May 23, 2013
Ball's in your court, Bruce DickinsonThursday, May 23, 2013