Angel Haze posted an Azealia Banks diss track 'On the Edge'
And Diplo produced the beat
"My album is more done than yours...and I just started a week ago," says Angel Haze on her new track "One the Edge." And thus starts the flame-war between Haze and another upstart rapper Azealia Banks with battle bars.
The two artists erupted in a Twitter brawl today, starting with an apparent lob from Banks on rappers claiming to be from New York who aren't.
Some of the Tweet nastiness has been deleted, replaced with some half apologies and a lot of chest puffery. The next move was apparent: within hours, Haze had a pretty personal diss track up on Soundcloud.
Now, I'm not really interested in a Tweet fight, especially in this still-small world of female MCs that have a long race to run even after they're done trying to put each other down. Nicki and Kim did it. Was kinda gross, but it yielded some fun.
"On the Edge" is personal. It's practically psycho-sexual. With Banks accusing Haze making a pass at her, and Haze hitting back at Banks' looks. It sounds like two former friends who now compete to kill.
What I hear on "Edge" is the opposite of what I heard yesterday, on Banks' "BBD." As I said in the piece, her rhymes were mixed down low, letting the self-aware novelty of the trap baps take control. Again, a little ADHD. Haze can rap, and that much is clearer, and clearer still on confident "On the Edge." While she has a beat from Diplo made in 2012 backing her, Haze has the advantage of time and timing. Banks' Interscope album has been frequently delayed, making her release all the more anticipated, and Haze takes her down, alluding to the now-quashed Kreayshawn and twisting the title of Banks' album against her: "Broke with Expensive Taste."
The cover art is predictably juvenile. What can ya say.
Haze was born in Detroit and is now based in New York; she's signed to Island. While she may have hate on Banks' abilities to release new music in a timely manner, she should check with her own major to make sure she doesn't have the same fate ahead of her.
"Any response that is not in the form of a song is null and void," Haze Tweeted late today. Ball is in your court, Banks.
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
Human time-lapseThursday, May 23, 2013
Ball's in your court, Bruce DickinsonThursday, May 23, 2013
Fire!Thursday, May 23, 2013
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013