Andrew Bird details children's TV show project 'Professor Socks': Watch
'Norman' film composer continues to think of albums as films
PARK CITY, UTAH -- Even as he started making albums in his late teens, Andrew Bird wanted to be a film composer. His earliest efforts with Bowl of Fire were organized and released as a film, his stage sets are arranged like a 35 mm frame. He made his first complete score with "Norman" in 2011, but is still in search of fresh filmmakers with whom he can collaborate.
"People I would love to work with already have their 'guy.' Like, David Lynch or Werner Herzog or Jim Jarmusch. I'm looking for a young version of those. Like Carter Burwell with the Coen Brothers -- he was just part of their world, just another creative mind in their group and he just happened to fill their minds with music. He was there from the start," Bird said during our interview at Sundance.
For 2013, Bird is proactively filling the shoes of a composer by making his own A/V project -- though it's not a movie (yet). The Chicago-bred musician is lining up an outlet and funding for a live-action children's television program, called "Professor Socks' TV Show." It was only a couple of days ago at Largo in L.A. that Bird bowed its theme song; for a father of a 2-year-old, the timing was right, to make kid-friendly music and to star in his own project.
Bird said he's been watching a lot of Sesame Street and has been inspired by Jim Henson's shows. He looked at "Professor Socks" as a "good excuse to play the old jug band stuff, the old hot jazz stuff" -- think Emmett Otter. Bird, coincidentally, contributed a track to 2011's "The Muppets" "I'm thinking of all the friends I can bring into the process... trying to sneak in to the kids' thing through adults. It might be more of a cult, weird kind of musical."
The idea is also prompted, in part, by socks. The violinist, guitarist, singer and pro-whistler performs most of his shows without shoes on, thus Bird has always boasted an immaculate array of socks. "I haven't had to buy my own socks for a long time," he said.
Bird will play a "confused professor who's out to lunch on most scientific facts. He's very confused," he said. He's helped in part by assistants like a librarian and a foxy companion... rather, an animatronic fox (rhymes with socks, got it?). There's a magic dresser with magic socks and sliding across the floor in said socks transports him to other "vocational" worlds, "from as mundane as how they make bubble gum to the ballet."
Check out part one of two of my interview with Bird above, for more details on his film scoring and socks.
News From Our Partners
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal 'The Wolverine' New Trailer: More Ninjas, More Action and Jean Grey?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
From the Billboard Music Awards: 'Miguel would make a cool country duet'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Jared Leto takes a turn at shaman-Jesus, againTuesday, May 21, 2013
Brooklyn five-piece have done it again, with a melancholy (and lively) set of winnersMonday, May 20, 2013
R&B singer ain't nothin' to relate toFriday, May 17, 2013