7 reasons why Avril Lavigne's 'Rock N Roll' video is the lamest thing ever
So okay. Self-appointed pop-punk princess Avril Lavigne released a music video for her song "Rock N Roll" yesterday and I've been obsessively mulling over its monumental lameness for the past 24 hours. It is so SUPER fun to hang inside my head, ya'll. But truly, the lameness and the posturing involved in this video is worthy of much discussion. Here are 8 reasons why this thing sucks more than most things suck.
1. FIRST OF ALL, the video starts with an ad for a stupid Sony cell phone. That's lameness that need no further commentary… moving right along!
2. The video proper sees Avril dressed up as the cult comic badass Tank Girl in a story that supposes that the fate of rock 'n' roll is in danger because the planet is being attacked by "BearSharks." I respect you enough to assume you can figure out exactly what a "BearShark" is. Also, I definitely don't expect either you or me to understand how BearShark attacks endanger the entire genre of guitar-based pop music.
3. Avril wants us to know that rock 'n' roll is NOT, in fact, dead, and she's correct -- both Chuck Berry and Keith Richards still have beating hearts, and they both still perform in front of live audiences. Avril Lavigne, on the other hand, is married to Chad Kroeger, the man who is widely acknowledged to physically embody the downfall of all music (the "Nickleback" card always trumps in my games of Cards Against Humanity) -- which is to say, she probably wouldn't know a Little Richard tune if it hit her over the head.
Okay, good golly, that wasn't fair -- Avril is Canadian. She would't know a Neil Young song if it tiptoed up behind her and crooned gently into the soft part of her ear. (Canada, you guys!)
4. The most supremely lame thing about the video is Avril's uncomfortable makeout session with Danica McKellar, the gal who played Winnie Cooper on "The Wonder Years." Here's the thing: everyone in the world has some degree of crush on Winnie Cooper, but Danica McKellar is not actually Winnie Cooper. Danica McKellar is a sporadically employed mid-level actress who has written four books about how algebra can be a useful and fun part of your life. Winnie Cooper never would have made out with Avril Lavigne.
Plus, their kiss is incredibly awkward and entirely unsexy. If you're going to do girl-on-girl, at least make sure the involved parties don't look completely miserable about it. For comparison, please feast your eyes on the infamous Britney Spears/Madonna kiss from the 2003 VMAs:
Whether because of an adrenaline rush from being "naughty," an actual narcotic high, or, like, legitimate hormones, the Britney/Madonna incident was controversial because it's obvious that the women were actually into it. Which is to say, there was probably at least a modicum of vaginal secretion formed by that kiss. That's the grossest sentence I've ever written; I stole it from Danica McKellar's math book.
Whatever else you may think about Britney and Madonna, they're both big time sex symbols with legitimate sexual agency. As far as Avril Lavigne and Danica McKellar go, they have collectively given a whole BUNCH of 11-year-olds boners. And maybe accomplished the same for one or two more with this gross display of fake lesbianism.
ALSO? By deciding to kiss Danica, Avril wasted crucial time that could have been spent asking the mathemagician to quantify exactly how the existence of BearSharks puts all of rock 'n' roll in danger.
ALSO ALSO, if you want to talk about actual subversive sex, Tank Girl's boyfriend was a fucking kangaroo.
5. "November Rain" reference. Sigh.
6. Billy Zane on a Segway. Sigh. I'm not even sure what this is supposed to be referencing, other than quirkiness itself.
7. Not convinced that the video is truly the lamest thing on earth? Well, there is a cute dog wearing a tie introduced at the beginning and he fucking dies.
1993 | Sports | PGSummary: Emotionally powerful sports classic featuring Sean Astin as a skinny high school kid with big football dreams and the determination to make his way towards his dream team at Notre Dame.Director: David Anspaugh
Cast: Sean Astin, Jon Favreau, Ned Beatty
1996 | Crime | RSummary: Jerry, a small-town Minnesota car salesman is bursting at the seams with debt... but he's got a plan. He's going to hire two thugs to kidnap his wife in a scheme to collect a hefty ransom from his wealthy father-in-law. It's going to be a snap and nobody's going to get hurt... until people start ...Director: Joel Coen
Cast: William H. Macy, Frances McDormand, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare
2008 | Science Fiction | PGSummary: Animated series continues the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker as they battle the Emperor Palpatine, Count Dooku and General Grievous, but also takes time to explore other smaller characters in the Star Wars universe.Director: George Lucas (creator)
Cast: Tom Kane, Dee Bradley Baker, Matt Lanter
2013 | Comedy | NRSummary: Insanely funny comedy show created by Amy Schumer, who stars in brilliantly funny sketches about sex, city living, dating, and friendship.Director: Daniel Powell, Amy Schumer (creators)
Cast: Amy Schumer, Kevin Kane, Mike Houston
2007 | Comedy | PGSummary: Newlyweds Nick (Ice Cube) and Suzanne (Long) decide to move to the suburbs to provide a better life for their two kids. But their idea of a dream home is disturbed by a contractor (McGinley) with a bizarre approach to business.Director: Steve Carr
Cast: John C. McGinley, Ice Cube, Nia Long, Aleisha Allen
1995 | Mystery | NRSummary: Denzel Washington plays an out of work WWII vet who takes the wrong job and is soon neck-deep in a mess of politics, murder, and jazz in '40s Los Angeles.Director: Carl Franklin
Cast: Denzel Washington, Tom Sizemore, Jennifer Beals
2013 | Drama | RSummary: Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill have boundless energy in the story of a real-life commodities crook who earned millions through scummy small-time stock trades.Director: Martin Scorsese
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie
1997 | Crime | RSummary: Quentin Tarantino adaptats an Elmore Leonard novel into this story of a few increasingly desperate people scraping to get by.Director: Quentin Tarantino
Cast: Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Forster
2013 | Thriller | RSummary: Based on the true story of Daniel Lugo (Mark Wahlberg) a Miami bodybuilder who wants to live the American dream. He would like to have the money that other people have. So he enlists the help of fellow bodybuilder Adrian Doorbal (Anthony Mackie) and ex-convict, Christian bodybuilder Paul Doyle (D...Director: Michael Bay
Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Anthony Mackie, Tony Shalhoub
Let Streaming Genie help you.