5 examples of women behaving irrationally on the season premiere of 'The Newsroom'
Of all the television shows in which incredibly successful women constantly undermine themselves by acting like irrational, flailing little hormone-demons, "The Newsroom" is definitely the most illustrious. Last night's premiere episode actually toned-down the crazy-lady and even added some crazy-man (Jim and Reese both had notable meltdowns), but even so, the episode still contained more than its fair share of shrieky, irrational women. Here are the 5 best examples of Sorkin Women being Sorkin Women:
1. The formerly-prim Maggie has chopped off all her hair, dyed it pink, and also she wears combat boots now. Will alludes to some traumatic experience in Uganda as the cause for Maggie's need to act out like a teenager who has had her clove cigarettes confiscated by Mom, but all we see for certain in the episode is that Maggie has been having some boy trouble. So, so much boy trouble.
2. The newly introduced and ultra-dignified lawyer, who costs $1500 an hour and whose main thing is getting Will to act even somewhat like a professional, yells, "Fuck!" right in the middle of a meeting. It's kind of adorable but also rather unbelievable.
3. MacKenzie pushes Will because she's mad at him. She physically assaults him in the hall because he has done something that displeases her, and it's totally fine because she is a lady and cannot control herself. Grrrrr!
4. The greatest instance of irrational lady behavior actually comes via a clip from last season's finale, which has, in the show, made its way to YouTube. This clip sees Maggie screaming in the rain about how her best friend is dating the boy she likes and it's the worst thing in the world, from outside a "Sex and the City" tourist bus. Aren't we glad it's made another appearance?
5. In the episode's final scene, MacKenzie tells Will that she can pay for her own drink dammit, because she is a grown-up, thank you very much, and an award-winning professional news producer at that. But wait, oh no, it turns out she can't pay for her own drink because she has left her purse in her office, and also, maybe she could borrow some cab fare to get home, Mr. Responsible Man?
1995 | Mystery | NRSummary: Denzel Washington plays an out of work WWII vet who takes the wrong job and is soon neck-deep in a mess of politics, murder, and jazz in '40s Los Angeles.Director: Carl Franklin
Cast: Denzel Washington, Tom Sizemore, Jennifer Beals
1997 | Crime | RSummary: Quentin Tarantino adaptats an Elmore Leonard novel into this story of a few increasingly desperate people scraping to get by. It has deep soul, a wicked sense of humor, and Samuel L. Jackson, Robert De Niro, Pam Grier, and Robert Forster.Director: Quentin Tarantino
Cast: Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Forster
2013 | Thriller | RSummary: Based on the true story of Daniel Lugo (Mark Wahlberg) a Miami bodybuilder who wants to live the American dream. He would like to have the money that other people have. So he enlists the help of fellow bodybuilder Adrian Doorbal (Anthony Mackie) and ex-convict, Christian bodybuilder Paul Doyle (D...Director: Michael Bay
Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Anthony Mackie, Tony Shalhoub
2008 | Science Fiction | PGSummary: Animated series continues the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker as they battle the Emperor Palpatine, Count Dooku and General Grievous, but also takes time to explore other smaller characters in the Star Wars universe.Director: George Lucas (creator)
Cast: Tom Kane, Dee Bradley Baker, Matt Lanter
2007 | Comedy | PGSummary: Newlyweds Nick (Ice Cube) and Suzanne (Long) decide to move to the suburbs to provide a better life for their two kids. But their idea of a dream home is disturbed by a contractor (McGinley) with a bizarre approach to business.Director: Steve Carr
Cast: John C. McGinley, Ice Cube, Nia Long, Aleisha Allen
2013 | Comedy | NRSummary: Insanely funny comedy show created by Amy Schumer, who stars in brilliantly funny sketches about sex, city living, dating, and friendship.Director: Daniel Powell, Amy Schumer (creators)
Cast: Amy Schumer, Kevin Kane, Mike Houston
1996 | Crime | RSummary: Jerry, a small-town Minnesota car salesman is bursting at the seams with debt... but he's got a plan. He's going to hire two thugs to kidnap his wife in a scheme to collect a hefty ransom from his wealthy father-in-law. It's going to be a snap and nobody's going to get hurt... until people start ...Director: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Cast: William H. Macy, Frances McDormand, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare
1993 | Sports | PGSummary: Emotionally powerful sports classic featuring Sean Astin as a skinny high school kid with big football dreams and the determination to make his way towards his dream team at Notre Dame.Director: David Anspaugh
Cast: Sean Astin, Jon Favreau, Ned Beatty
2013 | Drama | RSummary: Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill have boundless energy in the story of a real-life commodities crook who earned millions through scummy small-time stock trades.Director: Martin Scorsese
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie
Let Streaming Genie help you.