First, it was a very silly show, much like "Girl Meets World" is shaping up to be. Second, "Boy Meets World" was often way too saccharine and quaint, even when its hammy stars tried to fight it with broad humor. The show probably has more in common with "Full House" than "Friends," but the characters saved it from being an all-out schmaltzkrieg.
Now we come to first full "Girl Meets World" trailer, which proclaims that the new show will premiere June 27 at 9:45 p.m. With all those caveats about the original show in mind, watch this. Or try.
Ughhhhhhhhhhh. This doesn't appear to be working in any way. Here are 11 times that clip disturbed me.
1. Oh, Cory's daughter is in Cory's class? Is that how we're keeping Cory in the picture? I'm frowning.
2. Every outfit Riley Matthews (Rowan Blanchard) wears -- in fact, every outfit than anyone wears in this trailer -- is Kohl's catalog-perfect, and it bugs. Perfect layers, perfect accessories, perfect fit. I'm not saying "Boy Meets World" came close to actually depicting the middle school experience, but I never watched that show and felt like I was bearing witness to a TJ Maxx Back To School commercial. Tone it down, costume department! And hair department. And makeup department.
3. Excuse me, did Riley Matthews just pick somebody's nose? OK. Great.
4. I see they are making Riley Matthews imitate Cory for our amusement with her "I'm out of control!" gasp. Ugh.
5. Topanga is phhhhhooooooooooning itttttttt innnnnnnnn. I feel like I'm watching her consciously muster up the energy for every sideways glance in this clip. "A lot of things are going to happen," she says earnestly to her own daughter. MOM. YOU'RE EMBARRASSING ME. (She looks great though.)
6. WHERE IS FEENY. Come on! Bring us to him! Or at least bring us a moment of Alan Matthews and his trophy from the grocer awards. Please. Or Amy and one withering stare. Whatever.
7. Hmm. What is this Farkle person. I see he's trying to be the new Minkus, the breakout weirdo character, but he's not all that weird. He just says, "Farkle." And he has the haircut of 10-year-old Tatum O'Neal, which I do support.
8. "We're travelers from another time and place." "Seventh grade middle school!" Was that... a joke. Was that a joke. Because it sounds like an adult writing for a child. And also, "seventh grade middle school" is redundant and no person would say it, young or old.
9. This trailer keeps trying to tell us that Riley is "meeting the world" for the first time, but I don't see any obstacles in her way. I guess the showers went off at school once? She's in a locker for some reason? Show me the journey, trailer.
10. Riley's little brother is too precious by half, and he's not weird in the way Lily Matthews was on the original show. He seems like every other 7-year-old on a TV show.
11. You know what this show needs? Cory's brother Eric. He's just bizarre enough to make this mall-bland show slightly off-kilter. I'm already rooting for the spinoff "A Visit From Uncle Eric (Who Calls Himself Kyle)."
I will say: I think Ben Savage appears to be having fun here, and he seems right at home playing Cory Matthews again. But "Girl Meets World" needs a zany Halloween episode fast if Cory's going to rule school once more.
2007 | Comedy | PGSummary: Newlyweds Nick (Ice Cube) and Suzanne (Long) decide to move to the suburbs to provide a better life for their two kids. But their idea of a dream home is disturbed by a contractor (McGinley) with a bizarre approach to business.Director: Steve Carr
Cast: John C. McGinley, Ice Cube, Nia Long, Aleisha Allen
2008 | Science Fiction | PGSummary: Animated series continues the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker as they battle the Emperor Palpatine, Count Dooku and General Grievous, but also takes time to explore other smaller characters in the Star Wars universe.Director: George Lucas (creator)
Cast: Tom Kane, Dee Bradley Baker, Matt Lanter
2013 | Thriller | RSummary: Based on the true story of Daniel Lugo (Mark Wahlberg) a Miami bodybuilder who wants to live the American dream. He would like to have the money that other people have. So he enlists the help of fellow bodybuilder Adrian Doorbal (Anthony Mackie) and ex-convict, Christian bodybuilder Paul Doyle (D...Director: Michael Bay
Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Anthony Mackie, Tony Shalhoub
2013 | Comedy | NRSummary: Insanely funny comedy show created by Amy Schumer, who stars in brilliantly funny sketches about sex, city living, dating, and friendship.Director: Daniel Powell, Amy Schumer (creators)
Cast: Amy Schumer, Kevin Kane, Mike Houston
1995 | Mystery | NRSummary: Denzel Washington plays an out of work WWII vet who takes the wrong job and is soon neck-deep in a mess of politics, murder, and jazz in '40s Los Angeles.Director: Carl Franklin
Cast: Denzel Washington, Tom Sizemore, Jennifer Beals
1993 | Sports | PGSummary: Emotionally powerful sports classic featuring Sean Astin as a skinny high school kid with big football dreams and the determination to make his way towards his dream team at Notre Dame.Director: David Anspaugh
Cast: Sean Astin, Jon Favreau, Ned Beatty
2013 | Drama | RSummary: Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill have boundless energy in the story of a real-life commodities crook who earned millions through scummy small-time stock trades.Director: Martin Scorsese
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie
1997 | Crime | RSummary: Quentin Tarantino adaptats an Elmore Leonard novel into this story of a few increasingly desperate people scraping to get by. It has deep soul, a wicked sense of humor, and Samuel L. Jackson, Robert De Niro, Pam Grier, and Robert Forster.Director: Quentin Tarantino
Cast: Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Forster
1996 | Crime | RSummary: Jerry, a small-town Minnesota car salesman is bursting at the seams with debt... but he's got a plan. He's going to hire two thugs to kidnap his wife in a scheme to collect a hefty ransom from his wealthy father-in-law. It's going to be a snap and nobody's going to get hurt... until people start ...Director: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Cast: William H. Macy, Frances McDormand, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare
Let Streaming Genie help you.