TV Boards

Advertisement
Scripted Dramas
Discuss True Blood, Mad Men, Fringe or other shows where plot is the point
Created over 2 years ago.
Jeff G
Spartacus Season 1

So I just finished the first season of Spartacus. Now I was among the many who thought the first two or three episodes were quite bad. I kept watching because someone told me that it got better and much to my surprise, it did. They got some interesting storylines going along with some great performances by Andy Whitfield (RIP) and John Hannah. It wrapped up with one of the more satisfying finales I can remember watching.

It definitely kept the over the top gore throughout and the effects were up and down. I also haven't watched the 1.5 prequel or any of season 2 yet, so I'm not sure how those are.

However, if you want to see a TV show get steadily better and end the season with a great climax, I highly recommend it.

Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
jmr1948

I started watching Spartacus Blood and Sand less than a month ago, and am now caught up with new season. I agree with you that it takes several episodes for the first season to kick in; for me it was Episode Six, Delicate Things, when issue of Sura is settled, when I finally realized what folks were talking about: great writing and acting, compelling characters. I think Gods of the Arena is also great with the exception of the first episode and GOTA is essential back story for new season. It does take time to adjust to Andy Whitfield's absence--he was so great--but good stuff is happening in the new season. Never thought I would like this kind of show, but it's excellent in its own unique way.

Reply Report Abuse
Hero

"Great writing and acting." Really? The onyl thing I thought was "great" about it was how artfully shot the pr0n was.

Reply Report Abuse
Jeff G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr1948

I started watching Spartacus Blood and Sand less than a month ago, and am now caught up with new season. I agree with you that it takes several episodes for the first season to kick in; for me it was Episode Six, Delicate Things, when issue of Sura is settled, when I finally realized what folks were talking about: great writing and acting, compelling characters. I think Gods of the Arena is also great with the exception of the first episode and GOTA is essential back story for new season. It does take time to adjust to Andy Whitfield's absence--he was so great--but good stuff is happening in the new season. Never thought I would like this kind of show, but it's excellent in its own unique way.

Glad to hear they've kept it going. I wasn't thrilled about them going with a prequel (although I understand the tough position they were in). I'll have to give it a shot after hearing from you and others that it's also good.

I've kept thinking how surprised I am that from the first episode, when my girlfriend and I were laughing about how stupid and unnecessary the gore/effects were to now when I've realized that some of the extreme violence (handled a little more effectively in later episodes) really made a difference in how dramatic certain scenes were. Like the Ilithyia scene was very disturbing, but it added to the episode. And in the season 1 finale it made certain moments even more awesome.

Reply Report Abuse
Emo7_thumb
Greg Grant

Dude, I have no idea what you are talking about, because it seemed to me the premise of that show was someone looking at one of three million versions of Spartacus out there, turned the channel over to see "300," then turned to his buddy and said, "I can do this... but with more taint!"

I have no idea who the audience for this show was/is, because people told me there are great shots of nekkid ladies getting it on and fighting and I tend to favor that, but there was more dong and scrote than b00b in the episode I caught. The acting was atrocious. Even by Starz standards, the show was/is pointless nudity intersped with bad acting.

Reply Report Abuse