Movie Boards

Advertisement
Movies General
Discuss anything that doesn't fit into another movies category
Created almost 3 years ago.
Dave_square_thumb
dave1279
Nicholas Cage is the worst big name actor of our generation

Discussion about Nicholas Cage is the worst big name actor of our generation.

 
Report Abuse
Replied almost 3 years ago.
Jacob S.

Obviously you've never seen Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, Raising Arizona, Face/Off, Gone in 60 Seconds, National Treasure, Adaptation, Lord of War, Leaving Las Vegas, Wild at Heart, and Vampire's Kiss. Great performances in all of them.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied almost 3 years ago.
All_purpose_icon_thumb
drew

Yeah, I'm going to have to flat-out disagree.

In fact, I think this is so wildly off-base that it sort of startles me.

Nic Cage takes a lot of paychecks, true. And he makes some crazy films and some crazy choices sometimes. But he has also hit some truly delirious highs over the course of his career, and some of those big giant weird-ass choices of his have resulted in performances like "Peggy Sue Got Married" and "Raising Arizona" and "Vampire's Kiss" and "Face-Off" and "Kick-Ass" and "Leaving Las Vegas" and on and on and on.

I love Cage. I love that he's so completely unhinged at times, but there's no irony in my love of his work.

And as he put it once as we were talking, "Come on, man... I was throwing karate kicks at Leelee Sobieski's head while dressed in a bear suit. How serious do you think I was?"

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied almost 3 years ago.
Gwildor_closeup_thumb
cultstatus

John Travolta hands down. Everything after Pulp Fiction and Get Shorty has been terrible. In fact, everything before Pulp and Shorty is terrible too.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied almost 3 years ago.
Eunice

Has he done crazy stuff? Sure. Has he done a couple of movies? Yeah. But since 'Adaptation' exists, I have to vehemently disagree with you on this one.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied almost 3 years ago.
Dave_square_thumb
dave1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob S.

Obviously you've never seen Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, Raising Arizona, Face/Off, Gone in 60 Seconds, National Treasure, Adaptation, Lord of War, Leaving Las Vegas, Wild at Heart, and Vampire's Kiss. Great performances in all of them.

These are all great movies, I won't argue with that. But when I see him it seems like the same performance. It's like Derek Zoolander and his collection of looks.

I actually really like a lot of his movies, but I don't think there have been too many people leading movies with the total box office success that he's had with pure acting talent worse than his.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied almost 3 years ago.
Yodachilliresize_bigger_thumb
BigAl6ft6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1279

These are all great movies, I won't argue with that. But when I see him it seems like the same performance. It's like Derek Zoolander and his collection of looks.

I actually really like a lot of his movies, but I don't think there have been too many people leading movies with the total box office success that he's had with pure acting talent worse than his.

I think in Cage's later era, even though he makes about 4 movies a year, once every 5 years or so you get gold outta him, both movies & performance: Adaptation. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. Kick ASs. So, yeah, for every Season of the Witch or National Treasure you gotta slag through every 10th movie or so he blows you outta the water.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
fightclub1

this is what basically happened: nic cage went broke so he signed up for any and every movie he could get his hands on, no matter how shitty the script. this obviously led to flop after flop, ultimately making him irrelevant and not credible as an an actor hollywood.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
Dr. Dunkenstein

No chance. The thing about Nic Cage is that he's in a ton of movies, good and bad, and enough of them are bad enough that nobody could save the material. There's never been a movie he's been in where there was great material that was sunk by his performance.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
fightclub1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dunkenstein

No chance. The thing about Nic Cage is that he's in a ton of movies, good and bad, and enough of them are bad enough that nobody could save the material. There's never been a movie he's been in where there was great material that was sunk by his performance.

never said he gave poor performances, just said that he took any script he could no matter how shitty purely because he needed the money. this is what essentially ruined his credibility in hollywood. not his performances, but the movies he attached himself to; which sometimes is just as important in the dog-eat-dog world of hollyworld

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
Grouch_reasonably_small_thumb
emdee
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclub1

this is what basically happened: nic cage went broke so he signed up for any and every movie he could get his hands on, no matter how shitty the script. this obviously led to flop after flop, ultimately making him irrelevant and not credible as an an actor hollywood.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6305300/nicolas-cages-agent - old sketch but still funny

 
Reply Report Abuse
← Previous 1