TV Boards

Advertisement
Scripted Dramas
Discuss True Blood, Mad Men, Fringe or other shows where plot is the point
Created about 2 years ago.
Midnight_run_mca255950_thumb
sepinwall
Game of Thrones, "The Prince of Winterfell" discussion for book readers
Spoilers Included

You know the routine: no book discussion is acceptable in my "The Prince of Winterfell" review, so feel free to compare the episode to any or all of the ASOIAF books to your heart's content here.

I'll add a link to the review once it's up.

 
Report Abuse
Replied about 2 years ago.
Midnight_run_mca255950_thumb
sepinwall
Spoilers Included

And here's the review: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/review-game-of-thrones-the-prince-of-winterfell-fear-itself

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied about 2 years ago.
Zoidberg_thumb
mrbilliam
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepinwall

And here's the review: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/review-game-of-thrones-the-prince-of-winterfell-fear-itself

This show's gotten pretty skilled at side-stepping any and all action scenes. I would have liked to see the violent coup Jaqen led in the books, though the dead guards made sense enough. Maybe they're saving their budget for an epic-feeling Battle of King's Landing? I don't really see any way they can sidestep that.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied about 2 years ago.
Infoavatar_thumb
MrMojo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbilliam

This show's gotten pretty skilled at side-stepping any and all action scenes. I would have liked to see the violent coup Jaqen led in the books, though the dead guards made sense enough. Maybe they're saving their budget for an epic-feeling Battle of King's Landing? I don't really see any way they can sidestep that.

Was really annoyed this week. All set up and no payoff. I get that the big battle is next week along with the House of the Undying but they could have put something in this episode. There are so many things they're leaving out that it's frustrating to see an entire episode dedicated to set-up.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied about 2 years ago.
Kevjean
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbilliam

This show's gotten pretty skilled at side-stepping any and all action scenes. I would have liked to see the violent coup Jaqen led in the books, though the dead guards made sense enough. Maybe they're saving their budget for an epic-feeling Battle of King's Landing? I don't really see any way they can sidestep that.

Its been a while since I read the book, but doesn't Robb's men get to Harenhall before Arrya leaves. She leads the "Soup Uprising." I am disappointed they've cut out the reason for her leaving, isn't that she wants Tyrin killed, although she does, but rather because The Mountain will probably kill her.

Also the setup for the Cersi/Ros/Tryion scene is much better in the book. But that would have required much more time to do. But, I really enjoyed reading the vast precautions the Imp took to keep Shae safe and the interplay with the whore who opened the door for him in the books. It really paints him as a far more compassionate person.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied about 2 years ago.
darthzombie
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepinwall

And here's the review: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/review-game-of-thrones-the-prince-of-winterfell-fear-itself

Spoilers Included

Well things are getting back in line with the books. Of all the changes it is only Jon's that I am disappointed with as I liked his journey and choices in the novel were more compelling and believable than the shows. And it is not like they won't have plenty of time for Jon and Ygritte sexy flirty time next year but we are going to miss mor time spent with my favorite side character Qhorin Halfhand who is my Bobba Fett character of the series and seems to be a lot of book readers as well. Also glad they got around to finding that dragonglass because as we know it is quite important in the coming story. I found Dany's arc to be more compelling in the show then the book this year. I know sacrilege, right? But still the only thing I care about this season with her is the house of the undying, I hope is assurrealand insane as it read. I also think they fumbled the Robb stuff, but as that story was playing with house money because it all happened off-page it is a wash. Also of note what about the chain of Blackwater bay. It was never brought up this year on the show, are they still going to use it and if so they took out Tyrion's main spot of tactical genius in that battle. Using it with the wyldfire to trap and burn almost aloof Stannis's fleet was the main reason the Lannister's were victorious. Which was sad that he never got the credit he deserved for holding the city. Also show of hands who doesn't believe Tyrion is going to lose his nose in battle? I surely don't but I hope an eye would be equivalent and an eyepatch would be easier to maintain...

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied about 2 years ago.
iuqiddis
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthzombie

Well things are getting back in line with the books. Of all the changes it is only Jon's that I am disappointed with as I liked his journey and choices in the novel were more compelling and believable than the shows. And it is not like they won't have plenty of time for Jon and Ygritte sexy flirty time next year but we are going to miss mor time spent with my favorite side character Qhorin Halfhand who is my Bobba Fett character of the series and seems to be a lot of book readers as well. Also glad they got around to finding that dragonglass because as we know it is quite important in the coming story. I found Dany's arc to be more compelling in the show then the book this year. I know sacrilege, right? But still the only thing I care about this season with her is the house of the undying, I hope is assurrealand insane as it read. I also think they fumbled the Robb stuff, but as that story was playing with house money because it all happened off-page it is a wash. Also of note what about the chain of Blackwater bay. It was never brought up this year on the show, are they still going to use it and if so they took out Tyrion's main spot of tactical genius in that battle. Using it with the wyldfire to trap and burn almost aloof Stannis's fleet was the main reason the Lannister's were victorious. Which was sad that he never got the credit he deserved for holding the city. Also show of hands who doesn't believe Tyrion is going to lose his nose in battle? I surely don't but I hope an eye would be equivalent and an eyepatch would be easier to maintain...

Man, you guys jogged up a lot of details from the book. Let's see if I can opine one by one.

@Kevjean

I think its okay. Yea, the 'soup uprising' would have been fun, especially as she gets a reputation after it, but all in all I think its not stretching the spirit of the books too much. We get to see her bargain, and we see the Northerners get free. I guess the Mountain was out hunting while the coup happened as he has a role to play later.

And I agree that the whores scene in the book makes Tyrion look a lot better. But it seems he's the most non-Lannisterish of the bunch, both in the books and the TV show, to begin with.

@darthzombie

I agree with Jon's changes. As we've posted in the past two weeks or so, the changes aren't making Jon look good. It's actually quite impressive, Alan (Sepinwall) already expects halfhand to die off Jon's hands in the next episode to set him up as a double agent. Of course in the book, he's been impressed by Jon and the sacrifice makes sense. Here his reasons are tenuous at best.

And with the dragonglass find, it's pretty obvious they don't want to highlight the wolves too much. Which is funny because they kinda over-magiced the Qarth scenes (with the whole nightcrawler-like teleportation and killing of the 13). So it can't be that the producers are trying to minimize the supernatural for a bigger audience. My guess is that its because its cheaper to make a teleporting man than a CGI wolf digging up things. I don't know, I just miss the whole wolves' sixth sense from the books.

You also brought up the surrealism of the house of the undying. I think we'll be slightly disappointed. People feel free to correct me but isn't this where we see (in the books) the scene with her brother and his wife where we hear about the song of ice and fire. But Jon's parentage, or anything about Lyanna has been completely sidestepped in the show. I remember getting goosebumps when I first read that scene as it shed light into the prophecy and Rhaegar's motivations, but again, I don't think we'll get to see any of it.

As for Robb's stuff. I actually like it. If there is any character that comes off better in the show, its him. In the books we just learn about his accomplishments and his deeds. I find it exciting to be there for it. And I'm okay with the Lady whatever from Volantis too. Seems to be all within the spirit of the books to me.

As for the battle of Blackwater bay, it wasn't the most exciting thing in the books for me, but for most folks sake, I do hope they show some part of the battle.

Cheers.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied about 2 years ago.
darthzombie
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthzombie

Well things are getting back in line with the books. Of all the changes it is only Jon's that I am disappointed with as I liked his journey and choices in the novel were more compelling and believable than the shows. And it is not like they won't have plenty of time for Jon and Ygritte sexy flirty time next year but we are going to miss mor time spent with my favorite side character Qhorin Halfhand who is my Bobba Fett character of the series and seems to be a lot of book readers as well. Also glad they got around to finding that dragonglass because as we know it is quite important in the coming story. I found Dany's arc to be more compelling in the show then the book this year. I know sacrilege, right? But still the only thing I care about this season with her is the house of the undying, I hope is assurrealand insane as it read. I also think they fumbled the Robb stuff, but as that story was playing with house money because it all happened off-page it is a wash. Also of note what about the chain of Blackwater bay. It was never brought up this year on the show, are they still going to use it and if so they took out Tyrion's main spot of tactical genius in that battle. Using it with the wyldfire to trap and burn almost aloof Stannis's fleet was the main reason the Lannister's were victorious. Which was sad that he never got the credit he deserved for holding the city. Also show of hands who doesn't believe Tyrion is going to lose his nose in battle? I surely don't but I hope an eye would be equivalent and an eyepatch would be easier to maintain...

I want to note that while I do come on here and be nitpicky and complain and I unabashedly love this show and is doing a better adaption then I thought possible and hope they are able to keep going til the end of this saga, and hopefully George gets the books out fast enough that they don't catch up so hes got 6 to 7 years to write the last two...

 
Reply Report Abuse