TV Boards

Advertisement
Scripted Dramas
Discuss True Blood, Mad Men, Fringe or other shows where plot is the point
Created over 2 years ago.
Midnight_run_mca255950_thumb
sepinwall
Game of Thrones, "Garden of Bones" discussion for book readers
Spoilers Included

Same plan as the last few weeks: in an attempt to keep the comments in the weekly "Game of Thrones" review free of talk about the books, I'm setting up a separate message board topic where you can talk about the books to your heart's content. So have a party discussing the books as they relate to season 2, episode 4, "Garden of Bones." I'll add a link to the episode review once it's up on my blog on Sunday night.

 
Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
Midnight_run_mca255950_thumb
sepinwall

And here's the link for the review: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/review-game-of-thrones-garden-of-bones-i-smell-dead-people

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
Winteriscoming_thumb
MaxS
Spoilers Included

Does anyone else feel like we're skipping over a lot more stuff than we did during the first book? Davos's attempted killing of Melisandre and imprisonment was skipped. All of Arya's time before being captured and brought to Harrenhal was skipped. All of Dany's wandering and time spent in dead cities were skipped. In the books these were important ways of building the characters.

On the other hand, I thought it was smart how they brought Roose Bolton in. They've had to change where he was and what he did because they didn't introduce him in the first season due to inability to really portray battle scenes. The only problem is that I don't know if people who haven't read the books would realize that he was a character they need to remember rather than just a random guy.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
Zoidberg_thumb
mrbilliam
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxS

Does anyone else feel like we're skipping over a lot more stuff than we did during the first book? Davos's attempted killing of Melisandre and imprisonment was skipped. All of Arya's time before being captured and brought to Harrenhal was skipped. All of Dany's wandering and time spent in dead cities were skipped. In the books these were important ways of building the characters.

On the other hand, I thought it was smart how they brought Roose Bolton in. They've had to change where he was and what he did because they didn't introduce him in the first season due to inability to really portray battle scenes. The only problem is that I don't know if people who haven't read the books would realize that he was a character they need to remember rather than just a random guy.

I read the books, and I didn't catch that it was Roose Bolton (though he was obviously a Frey).

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
Zoidberg_thumb
mrbilliam

It's interesting that the showed the birthing scene before they show WHY she is doing that. I thought that particular event was the biggest shocker in the book, and showing the source of it beforehand might diminish the effect a little. We will see. Obviously, they don't want to be rid of Renly too soon.

(Correct me if I am wrong, either about not hinting about what she is doing in the show, or about the order of events in the book).

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
Target_field_4-12_thumb
dan.cook
Spoilers Included

It does feel like they're compressing a lot in this season, but I suppose that's necessary since "Clash of Kings" was a longer book than "Game of Thrones" was.

I like they way they're going about it though. You'll recall that in the book Davos sneaks Melisandre ashore and she gives birth to the shadow that kills Ser Cortnay Penrose, whereas in the show, it looks like it's destined to kill Renly.

Likewise, in the book, Arya is in the employ of Chiswyck, not Tywin Lannister.

It isn't Littlefinger that brings Cat Ned's bones in the book, it's the random Lannister cousin that's trying to make deals back and forth. And instead of finding Cat with Renly, that scene happens at Riverrun.

So in essence they're keeping the main plot points, and just adjusting where they happen and to whom they happen. Those of us who enjoy the books get our recognizable moments, and those who haven't aren't overloaded with bit-characters.

I think Weiss and Benioff are doing an excellent job so far in S2!

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
100th Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbilliam

I read the books, and I didn't catch that it was Roose Bolton (though he was obviously a Frey).

you're the second person i've seen make this comment. Roose Bolton isn't a Frey. totally different house.

On the subject of the episode i don't really get why Davos was sailing melisandre into a cave with bars. obviously they are combining the killings of Renly and the castallen of storms end. But it doesn't make sense in the context portrayed in the show. Renly is in a camp not a castle. I'd be interested to know where the people who hadn't read the books though they were but im too afraid to post in the review.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
Illyria
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxS

Does anyone else feel like we're skipping over a lot more stuff than we did during the first book? Davos's attempted killing of Melisandre and imprisonment was skipped. All of Arya's time before being captured and brought to Harrenhal was skipped. All of Dany's wandering and time spent in dead cities were skipped. In the books these were important ways of building the characters.

On the other hand, I thought it was smart how they brought Roose Bolton in. They've had to change where he was and what he did because they didn't introduce him in the first season due to inability to really portray battle scenes. The only problem is that I don't know if people who haven't read the books would realize that he was a character they need to remember rather than just a random guy.

Davos plotting to kill Melisandre was actually in A Storm of Swords, following the Battle of the Blackwater (which should be at the end of S2). The compressing of Arya and Dany's story makes some sense considering you only have 10 hrs to cover the whole book and you cant dedicate valuable time to Dany wandering the desert and Arya roaming the woods. They get the major plot points in, which is the best you can hope for given the time restrictions.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
Illyria
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th Idiot

you're the second person i've seen make this comment. Roose Bolton isn't a Frey. totally different house.

On the subject of the episode i don't really get why Davos was sailing melisandre into a cave with bars. obviously they are combining the killings of Renly and the castallen of storms end. But it doesn't make sense in the context portrayed in the show. Renly is in a camp not a castle. I'd be interested to know where the people who hadn't read the books though they were but im too afraid to post in the review.

Am I the only one thats annoyed that they have apparently completely renamed and changed Jayne Westerling to whomever this chick was on the battlefield??? Seems like a completely unecessary change.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
Winteriscoming_thumb
MaxS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyria

Davos plotting to kill Melisandre was actually in A Storm of Swords, following the Battle of the Blackwater (which should be at the end of S2). The compressing of Arya and Dany's story makes some sense considering you only have 10 hrs to cover the whole book and you cant dedicate valuable time to Dany wandering the desert and Arya roaming the woods. They get the major plot points in, which is the best you can hope for given the time restrictions.

Shoot, you're right. There's just so much in the books that sometimes I have a timeline jumble in my mind.

 
Reply Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
Winteriscoming_thumb
MaxS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyria

Am I the only one thats annoyed that they have apparently completely renamed and changed Jayne Westerling to whomever this chick was on the battlefield??? Seems like a completely unecessary change.

Well we don't know that that's supposed to be Jeyne for sure. They have a lot of license to do what they want with Robb since the only things we hear about him are second hand from the time Cat leaves him until he gets back to Riverrun.

Update: I just looked at the character on the battlefield and the actress who was rumored to play Jeyne Westerling and it's the same actress, so yes I am potentially annoyed. There's also a chance she made up the name so that he doesn't know who her family is.

 
Reply Report Abuse
← Previous 1 3