Advertisement
Movies General
Discuss anything that doesn't fit into another movies category
Created over 2 years ago.
All_purpose_icon_thumb
drew
Film Nerd 2.0 for 2012

Film Nerd 2.0 for 2012.

I posted the new column today, in which we watched "The Muppet Movie" together, but I also posted the list of what we're watching this year.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/film-nerd-2-0-we-wrap-up-2011-with-the-muppet-movie-and-pick-the-slate-for-2012

There will be some additions to the list. For example, I'm taking the boys to see the silent film "Wings" next week, because it's been shown with a live orchestra, and I forgot to include "Edward Scissorhands" on the published list, but it will be included as well.

Should be a good year of it. We may even be doing some special events for the column. I'm excited to see how things play out.

Here's the list again, so we can discuss it here as well.

"To Kill A Mockingbird"
"Big Top Pee-Wee"
"Spaceballs" - Blu-ray
The "Back To The Future" trilogy - Blu-ray
"Greystoke: The Legend Of Tarzan Lord Of The Apes"
"20,000 Leagues Under The Sea"
"Return To Oz"
"Who Framed Roger Rabbit"
"Two Brothers"
"Animal Crackers"
"Mary Poppins"
"Wallace and Gromit The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit"
"Legend"
"Sky Captain and the World Of Tomorrow"
"Spirited Away"
"War Of The Worlds" (1952)
"Frankenstein"
"Young Sherlock Holmes"
"Creature From The Black Lagoon"
"The Stooge"
"Pee Wee's Big Adventure"
"The Reivers"
"The Bellboy"
"A Shot in The Dark"
"Mighty Joe Young"
"The Ghost and Mr. Chicken"
"Tarzan The Ape Man"
"Captain Blood"
"That's Entertainment"
"Around The World In 80 Days"
"Arabian Nights"
"The Jungle Book"
"Scared Stiff"
"The Caddy"
And the rest of the "Planet of The Apes" feature films.

Report Abuse
Replied over 2 years ago.
colons

I can't wait for Back to the Future! I had the pleasure or showing this to my 4 years old niece. I wasn't positive she'd love it. After all, there's really only 1 female lead (who doesn't get to participate in the action), the original film is light on special effects and heavy on dialogue about destiny and time travel. It worked on her completely. I'd pause the film here and there to be sure she knew what was going on-- underestimating her comprehension, I'm sure-- but I wanted to be sure she knew the stakes of erasing your own existence and how the plan to get Marty back would actually work. She laughed in all the places a child would and was on the edge of her seat at the clock tower. There was even an audible gasp when the ledge breaks under Doc Brown's foot. So much fun watching it with her.

I recently showed that same niece and her younger sister Ghostbusters. This one was a bigger risk. Back to the Future crosses generations and sexes. Ghostbusters seems to have become a comedy classic but also a "Guy's Movie" from the 80's. Also, while it has more special effects, the humor is much more dialogue driven than BTTF. So, I knew a lot of that would go over their heads. It played well. I scanned through a few of the slower/talkier scenes (nothing much though) and they laughed a good amount and were only scared by the librarians transformation. I was impressed. The younger niece loved Ghostbusters so much she used a Christmas gift card to the get the game for her DS!

This post ended being far longer than I intended. Guess Drew got me into talking about my own experiences with exposing the next generation to quality films.

Drew, it looks like you've got a pretty full year but I'd love it if you could squeeze in Ghostbusters.

Some other suggestions...
Batman '89/Batman Returns
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (PG-13, of course)
Beetlejuice
Big
Galaxy Quest
Gremlins/Gremlins II: The New Batch
Home Alone
Indiana Jones series (Raiders specifically)
InnerSpace
Jaws
Liar Liar
Monster House (Prime Halloween candidate!)
Monster Squad (perhaps doing the Universal films first would be a good idea)
Poltergeist
Rudy
The Sandlot
School of Rock
Super 8

The above list is all based off the idea that they've seen Jurassic Park. So, what's that level or below? One I really wanted to list which didn't fit that criteria:

Stand By Me

Thanks for this column. It's always a fun read.

Reply Report Abuse