Why I miss 'Community': Because it's hard to be Jewish in Russia, yo
One of many hilarious musical numbers the show has given us
"Community" fans got one bit of good news today, but it wasn't THE good news we've all been hoping for, which is NBC announcing a return date for the show. And as long as "Community" and its fans remain in limbo, I'm going to mark every Thursday at 8 with a different clip exemplifying just why it is that I love and miss it.
Some weeks, I've put a lot of deep thought into finding a clip that makes a statement about one of the regular characters, or one of the themes of the series, or about the show's huge amibition. Tonight, though, I just went with one that makes me laugh every single time I see it: Troy and a group of fellow African-American students performing "Fiddler, Please," Greendale's all-black adaptation of "Fiddler on the Roof."
(And no, I did not just choose this as a nod to Fienberg, who played Perchik in a high school production of "Fiddler.")
Of course, "Community" has done a lot of fine musical numbers. If embedding on the clip wasn't disabled, I might have gone with Troy and Abed's duet (accompanied by some badass Senor & Senora Chang dancing) on "Somewhere Out There," and there was a request in today's earlier post for Annie's boop-be-doop song from the Christmas episode. So we can certainly open a dialogue about the show's use of music, both original songs and well-placed pop songs, or I can just extend the usual blanket invitation to talk about any and everything "Community"-related.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013