Why I miss 'Community' while it's gone: Because Abed and Jeff bonded over chicken fingers
The series' first major high-concept episode also told a great character story
And so it's come to this: NBC's Thursday night comedy bloc kicks off right now on the East Coast, and "Community" is not a part of it. I'm glad to have "30 Rock" back, and to give "Up All Night" a chance to pick up viewers after being adrift on the Wednesday lineup, but dammit... I want Troy and Abed on my TV.
Once again, my plan is to spend every Thursday from now until NBC announces the show's return to the schedule (if not until the show is actually back on the schedule) revisiting a favorite moment or storyline from the series. If we can't have new "Community," at least we can bask in memories of the old ones.
For two weeks in a row of this project, I went with scenes from season 1's "Physical Education," which many of you cited as the series' funniest non-conceptual episode. Today, I'm going with the finale scene of the series' first really notable high-concept show: "Contemporary American Poultry," an extended "Goodfellas" parody about chicken fingers.
The scene below is actually not incredibly funny, but that's the point: it's a sincere, poignant moment between Jeff and Abed that justifies all the Scorsese spoofery that came before it by talking about how Abed views the world, and how much trouble he has connecting with people who don't view it that way. While not all of the show's conceptual episodes have worked, the ones that have tend to have a real character story at the center of it, whether it's Jeff and Britta finally hooking up during the paintball tournament or Abed's holiday depression during "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas."
So enjoy the scene and, as always, feel free to talk about any and everything "Community"-related.
News From Our Partners
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013