Review: 'United States of Tara' - 'Train Wreck': Get out while you still can
Bryce continues to torment the family at a tragic time
A review of tonight's "United States of Tara" coming up just as soon as Woody Allen works the register at FAO Schwartz...
"I wish we were the type of family who could only be upset about one thing." -Kate
Season 3 accelerates its very dark turn as Bryce continues to torment the Gregsons, and at a particularly awful moment, as Marshall is mourning the death of Lionel(*) in a car accident.
(*) Is this the first we've heard that Lionel's full name was Lionel Train? Seems maybe a little too cute, like a remnant of the days when the show was more aggressively quirky.
This is good for absolutely no one. Tara's either too doped to function or at risk of turning into the little monster who made her life into a nightmare in the first place. Not only can she not be there for her son when he so badly needs a mother, but she (in the guise of Bryce) makes everything so, so much worse. Every time I thought Bryce had reached a new low (say, trashing Marshall's room), he found a way to get lower, taunting Neil and Charmaine with the story of how he took a bus ride with Wheels (a move designed to hurt Tara just as much as her sister).
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Everyone in the cast was on fire tonight. You expect Toni Collette to bring her A-game, obviously, and I like how she's curbed herself just a little as Bryce - he's still a caricature of a nasty teenage boy in the same way Buck is Tara's caricature of a Vietnam vet or Alice is how she envisions the perfect housewife, but Collette somehow makes him seem more real, and in turn much more of a threat than any of the other alters have ever been. But Patton Oswalt continued to prove the theory that it's easier to turn a comedian into a good dramatic actor than to take a serious thespian and make them funny, and Keir Gilchrist and John Corbett were both superb in Marshall and Max's final conversation about the buckets.
Hard to believe there are only two episodes left, ever. But like I said last week, it's going to be one of those endings that feels like just right, even if it wasn't mean to be.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013
Lecter becomes interested in a local killer, and Will begins hearing thingsThursday, May 16, 2013
A show that shouldn't have worked instead became a great, popular, influential oneThursday, May 16, 2013
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013