'United States of Tara' - 'From This Day Forward': Charmaine getting married
More ugly truths come out on Charmaine's wedding day.
A review of the "United States of Tara" season two finale coming up just as soon as I take leggings for granted...
"Let's plow." -Charmaine
"From This Day Forward" ended this confident second season on a very strong note. Some stories never quite worked (specifically, anything to do with Kate, including what turned out to be underuse of Viola Davis), and others are left to be dealt with next season (the mystery of Hubbard's relationship to Tara, the half-brother that Tara and Charmaine will now likely want to track down), but Diablo Cody and company wrapped up most of what they needed to, and did it in the show's usual mix of the poignant and the ridiculous.
In particular, the finale was a wonderful showcase for Rosemarie DeWitt as Charmaine. Charmaine began the series as the broadest, most extraneous character, but as she's come to (mostly) accept the reality of her sister's condition, Charmaine's emotional story has become just as important and powerful as Tara's or Max's or Marshall's. Here, even though she was rushing into marriage with great-on-paper Nick while carrying the baby of better-for-her-in-reality Neil, I felt for her as that wedding was upstaged and eventually wrecked by Tara's issues. And then I laughed at the slap fight with Chicken, and then felt for both sisters when their parents revealed the truth about their half-brother and the molestation that led to Tara's DID. And if Charmaine didn't get the trophy husband(*), she does get the guy she clearly liked better (even if she treated him awfully at times), and I liked the 21st century Miss Havisham quality of her going to the bar with him without taking off the wedding dress.
(*) Interestingly, Tara's alters generally come out when she's under attack in some way, but here Chicken (whose role is to protect Charmaine) emerges, I suspect, because Tara realizes on some level that Charmaine doesn't really want to marry Nick - who turns out to be no prize with the rough way he handles Charmaine outside the kitchen - and uses Chicken to do the dirty work. Once the wedding is over, Tara returns.
And now that we have a clearer sense of what caused Tara's DID, I'll be curious to see what next season's stories might be. This information won't cure her, and she still probably has to find Brice and find out more about Hubbard, but now we're worrying about the margins of the bigger picture. The Gregson marriage has survived distractions by Pammy and Lynda and then Pammy again, the kids are (for now) back on their mom's side again, and Shoshanah is still around to offer advice. What conflict comes next? Other than, of course, the never-ending battle to give Kate something to do that makes sense, is interesting and in any way has something to do with the rest of the family?
Where would you like to see "Tara" go next season? And what did you think of how season two wrapped up?
News From Our Partners
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013
A badger gets loose at Cece's wedding, and Nick and Jess ponder their futureTuesday, May 14, 2013
Has the show solved Winston yet? What stories would she redo?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Dan and Alan break down the first batch of fall schedulesTuesday, May 14, 2013