TNT renews 'Southland' for season 5
Cop drama will return next February with 10 new episodes
TNT has ordered a fifth season of "Southland."
The John Wells-produced cop drama will return in February of 2013 with a 10-episode season. Wells had reportedly been seeking a 13-episode order for the show, which has been a rare example of a canceled show being picked up by another network. "Southland" debuted on NBC in the spring of 2009, and was renewed for the following season despite low ratings. Then NBC executives decided they didn't agree with Wells' vision for the show and pulled the plug after six episodes had been shot, but before any had aired. TNT picked up those six as a low-cost flyer, and have kept the show going ever since on a reduced budget that's eliminated all but four regular castmembers: Michael Cudlitz, Regina King, Shaw Hatosy and Ben McKenzie.
I've by and large enjoyed the two TNT-produced seasons much more than the NBC version of the show. It's an instance where cutting costs actually helped the series by forcing Wells and company to tighten their focus. Of course, many of the best moments in the fourth season came courtesy of Cudlitz and recurring guest star Lucy Liu, who's gone on to star in CBS' contemporary Sherlock Holmes pilot "Elementary," which seems a good bet to be on the fall schedule. (And her character was already written out at the end of season 4.)
Good news that the show gets to keep going, though.
News From Our Partners
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013
A badger gets loose at Cece's wedding, and Nick and Jess ponder their futureTuesday, May 14, 2013
Has the show solved Winston yet? What stories would she redo?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Dan and Alan break down the first batch of fall schedulesTuesday, May 14, 2013