Season premiere review: 'The Good Wife' - 'A New Day': You broke it, you bought it
Lots of "new" talk, but mostly the same old (excellent) legal drama
"The Good Wife" is back for a new season, and I have a quick review of the premiere coming up just as soon as I stick with retail rules...
New night and time. New hairstyle. Fancy new office for Alicia. New opening title sequence (downplaying the incident that gave the show a title everyone now seems to regret). Frequent references to how different - dare I say new? - Alicia is acting. Even the episode title (which at one point was "Bad Bad Thing") is "A New Day." Think CBS and the Kings wanted to be sure we understood just how new everything was?
On the one hand, I understand that CBS wants to expand the show's audience and also introduce it to any newcomers who perhaps didn't watch on Tuesdays but will on Sundays. On the other, this is a show that worked very, very well for the past two seasons, and largely falls under the heading of If It Ain't Broke...
Fortunately, most of the "new"ness was largely cosmetic - and the sort of status quo re-establishing you get in plenty of season premieres, with or without a timeslot move - and the core of the episode felt very much within "The Good Wife" formula: case with five or six twists, Alicia and Cary trying to out-swindle the other, obligatory social media references (the MMOG expert, the tutor's impromptu dance video), colorful judge (played by Fred "Sy Ableman?" Melamed), Will and Diane wrestling with ethics vs. money, Eli being more clever than the rest of the world combined, etc. There were tweaks here and there - I enjoyed Kalinda's flirtatious rivalry with Sophia much more than I did the feud with Blake last year, and am disappointed we likely won't see her again now that Kelli Giddish is a regular on "Law & Order: SVU" - but this was more or less the show it was on Tuesdays, and that's reassuring, even if the episode as a whole wasn't among the series' most memorable.
What did everybody else think? And has the move to a new night - and one that will make the show a frequent victim to football overruns for the next several months (as it was in New York and Philly last night) - made you more or less likely to continue with it?
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
A show that shouldn't have worked instead became a great, popular, influential oneThursday, May 16, 2013
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013
A badger gets loose at Cece's wedding, and Nick and Jess ponder their futureTuesday, May 14, 2013
Has the show solved Winston yet? What stories would she redo?Tuesday, May 14, 2013