'The Good Guys' - 'The Dim Knight': Where's Walter White when you need him?
A dog poisoning case leads to a meth ring.
A quick review of last night's "The Good Guys" coming up just as soon as my code for the copy machine works...
Like Todd VanDerWerff over at The AV Club, I thought "The Dim Knight" was a little too busy for its own good, and would have rather the bad guy portion of the hour focus more on the John Woo-esque hitman and his terrified translator. Still, I enjoyed the hour a bunch, and Whitford is definitely growing on me (and the show has wisely tilted more towards comedy since the pilot).
That said, I'm not sure this one's going to merit weekly reviews. It's a fun summer diversion (and, assuming Fox sticks to the fall schedule, it should be an entertaining show to kick off the weekend come September), but there's not much worth analyzing. "Burn Notice" shakes things up weekly in terms of the clients, the undercover identities and strategies that Michael adopts, the larger season story arcs, etc., where the four "Good Guys" episodes have been minor variations on the same amusing theme.
The most notable development here was the idea that Jack and Dan might work their way out of the doghouse (on a case, appropriately, that started off with poisoned dogs), and of course that had to get scotched, Gilligan-style. (Though you would think Jack could have come up with a more convincing lie, like saying The Dim Knight snuck out the back door during the shootout.) There will come a point, however, where the show's going to have to have the boss confront the way that every minor case these two work eventually leads to crime lords and foreign assassins and a hail of bullets and explosions - even if the way she confronts it is to suggest they stick to minor crimes because they have an uncanny knack for following small trails to bigger prey.
Anyway, I'll check back in with a review if an upcoming episode is noticeably different. In the meantime, what did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
Don and Stan get a special shot, the agency loses a leader and Sally meets her 'Grandma Ida'Monday, May 20, 2013
The Lannisters throw a wedding, Daenerys faces a new army, and Stannis meets GendrySunday, May 19, 2013
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013