Season finale review: 'Raising Hope' - 'I Want My Baby Back, Baby Back, Baby Back'
The Chances have their day in court
A quick review of the "Raising Hope" season finale coming up just as soon as I get to meet Ed Begley Jr. ...
At the time Greg Garcia and company made "I Want My Baby Back, Baby Back, Baby Back," they had no idea whether the show would be renewed for a third season, and based on the ongoing low ratings, I'm sure they feared this would be the last episode ever. Fortunately, that wasn't the case, which not only means that we get more of this very, very funny comedy, but also that they won't have gone away forever with this as their last episode.
The structure of the episode felt a lot like the infamous "Seinfeld" finale, with the Chances in a courtroom forced to confront one person after another whom they had offended, beaten up, stole from, or in some other way upset. And though the execution was a bit better here — I particularly liked David Krumholtz's racial confusion — on the whole it felt like exactly what it was: a trip down memory lane in the event of cancellation, rather than just a good episode of "Raising Hope." In terms of nostalgia, I thought last week's Part 1 of this story did a much better job of revisiting old territory while still being funny.
And even though they played it as a joke by putting blind Krumholtz behind the wheel of the bus that ran over Lucy, eliminating a problem character/story by running it over with a bus is among the laziest, most overused TV cliches in recent years. Better they hadn't brought Lucy back at all than to bring her back and do it that way.
Very good season. Not-so-great finale. But at least we get more, thanks to the beneficence of FOX.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013
Lecter becomes interested in a local killer, and Will begins hearing thingsThursday, May 16, 2013
A show that shouldn't have worked instead became a great, popular, influential oneThursday, May 16, 2013
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013