Review: On 'The Simpsons,' Bart takes the family on a sea cruise
Sunday's episode is a reminder of the pleasures of latter-day 'Simpsons'
I've written a lot about "The Simpsons" this season, between the two-year renewal, a wave of nostalgia before the airing of the 500th episode, and my feeling that this is one of the stronger overall seasons of the last 10-plus years, and a good example of why I'm glad the show continues to churn out new episodes after all this time.
One of the running themes of what I've written, though, is that even the good episodes, for the most part, involve the show's creative team coming up with new variations on stories they've told at least two and sometimes three times in the past. (Cases in point: "Holidays of Future Passed" and "The Food Wife.") But I got an early look at Sunday night's episode and among the many remarkable things about it is that it doesn't feel like a story I've seen before on the show.
There are elements that will be familiar — it's another episode where a Simpson family vacation verges on disaster — but the main emotional storyline involving Bart is one "The Simpsons" hasn't touched on before, as a fantastic luxury cruise makes him uneasy about the state of the rest of his life. (The episode is called "A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again," and both title and plot are an homage to a David Foster Wallace essay "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.") I'm always a fan of single-story "Simpsons" episodes, as well as ones built around an emotional issue facing a member of the family, and this has both — in addition to being funny and sweet and clever in its depiction of the Best Cruise Ever.
It's a very good one.
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013
A badger gets loose at Cece's wedding, and Nick and Jess ponder their futureTuesday, May 14, 2013
Has the show solved Winston yet? What stories would she redo?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Dan and Alan break down the first batch of fall schedulesTuesday, May 14, 2013