Review: 'Cougar Town' welcomes Jennifer Aniston, but doesn't really need her
Even with a 'Friends' reunion, the ensemble is the reason to watch
Jennifer Aniston turns up tonight on "Cougar Town." "Cougar Town" stars Courteney Cox, who once upon co-starred with Aniston in a little show called "Friends." ABC has been doing a good job of promoting the reunion (Where without Aniston the show might have gotten minimal or no promotion altogether.) And Aniston aquits herself just fine in the small role of Jules' eccentric new therapist. She's likable and daffy but never over-the-top. As he so often did on "Scrubs," Bill Lawrence (here writing with "Cougar Town" co-creator Kevin Biegel) has taken a stunt-casted guest star and made them feel like they fit right in.
But here's the thing: other than the possible promotional value, and the hope that Aniston might move the ratings needle in a way that last year's Lisa Kudrow guest spot didn't (and that Aniston's visit to "30 Rock" a few years back didn't), "Cougar Town" doesn't need her.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
And even with Aniston's guest appearance tonight, this is still the show that "Cougar Town" became at mid-season last year. There are various random games invented by Jules and her friends. Grayson (Josh Hopkins) proposes a movie title mash-up game where you drink red wine while describing the plots of "Scooby-Doo the Right Thing" or "Free Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." Laurie (Busy Philipps) challenges the college-bound Travis (Dan Byrd) to see who can go the longest without sleeping. And Andy (Ian Gomez) and Bobby (Brian Van Holt) decide to stake out a park bench where an ad for Jules' realtor business keeps getting defaced.
There's not much of a point to any of these ideas, save that this cast has tremendous chemistry and are funny (and, at the requisite heartfelt turn at the 25 minute mark, sweet) just being together.
It's become one of my favorite comedies, and whether you care about Aniston or not, tonight is a good time to sample it if you dismissed it last year because of the title, the original premise or some of those early episodes.
(Due to premiere week time crunch, I'm not doing a second post after the episode airs, so feel free to discuss it here.)
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013
A badger gets loose at Cece's wedding, and Nick and Jess ponder their futureTuesday, May 14, 2013
Has the show solved Winston yet? What stories would she redo?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Dan and Alan break down the first batch of fall schedulesTuesday, May 14, 2013