Press tour: Karen Gillan on leaving 'Doctor Who' and starring in 'We'll Take Manhattan'
She'll segue from playing Amy Pond to iconic '60s model Jean Shrimpton
PASADENA - Karen Gillan came to press tour to discuss her new TV-movie "We'll Take Manhattan," but as often happens at this event, the first question for her was about her more famous role on "Doctor Who," which she will leave sometime during the British sci-fi series' next season.
"I feel sad," she said of saying goodbye to the role of Amy Pond, "because I am gonna leave, but with any story, it has to come to an end. It was a mutual decision with me and ('Doctor Who' showrunner) Steven Moffat. We had this lovely dinner and decided when the best time for me to go was, and it's been decided. So I'm excited and slightly scared."
"We'll Take Manhattan," which will debut on Ovation on March 3 at 9 p.m., stars Gillan as Jean Shrimpton, who was discovered by British Vogue photographer David Bailey (played by Aneurin Barnard) in the early '60s. The duo traveled to Manhattan for what became an iconic photo shoot involving Shrimpton, a teddy bear and various New York buildings.
Gillan is a former model herself, and says she knew of Shrimpton well before she was approached about the film, discovering her while reading up on Bailey as part of her interest in photography.
"My boyfriend at the time showed me this picture," she recalled, "and goes, 'This is the most beautiful woman that's existed!' And I thought, (sarcastic) 'Oh, that's great.' So when this came along, I went, 'Yes!'"
And the movie not only allows her to lean back on skills from her former career, but provides her with a clear break from time travel, Daleks and Oods.
"What's really nice is it's such a contrast to the character I play in 'Doctor Who,' Amy Pond. It's completely different. This is a coming-of-age story, and it's about a girl figuring out life, and then something completely extraordinary happens to her. It's just so different, which is what I want. I want variety."
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
5 days ago
14 days ago
|Discuss Scripted Dramas on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
Steven Soderbergh biopic about Liberace is HBO's best movie in yearsFriday, May 24, 2013
Will gets lost in a case, and Lecter tries to protect Abigail HobbsThursday, May 23, 2013
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013