Press tour: 'Cougar Town' name change not happening
Bill Lawrence says they couldn't find an alternative worth the trouble of switching
Back in the spring, I interviewed "Cougar Town" co-creator Bill Lawrence about the creative turnaround that show made over the course of the season. In that interview, Bill said that they had done research showing that the title was a severe turn-off - that some viewers (mostly women) had no interest in watching anything called "Cougar Town," even though the show had long since stopped being about Courteney Cox trolling for young men. He said he hoped to petition the studio and ABC into agreeing to a title change before season two.
Last Friday, though, Lawrence told Michael Ausiello that the name change wasn't happening, so when I saw Bill at ABC's party last night, I had to get him to elaborate on the subject...
So what's this I hear about you keeping the terrible title of your show?
Oh, dude. The only title I could think of that was any better was "Stay tuned for more 'Modern Family,'" which would've crushed. "After this commercial break. We would've had to nail it to change it. And we didn't come up with anything. We couldn't use anything with the word "friends," because it would seem like we were pandering. They made some good points, which is that branding of a show matters. Eventually you can overcome a shitty title. It may be the worst-titled show of all time, but it's a fun burden to overcome. DVRs, you'd have to reprogram with a new title. That's like 30, 40 people we'd lose right there with their season passes. I'd have to call them all personally.
The truth is, we never nailed anything we really dug that would make that wholesale change worthwhile. So now we're wearing it like a badge of courage.
You couldn't have even just gone with "The Courteney Cox Show"? It's more than that now, but it wouldn't be a turn-off.
It's not good enough. It would have had to blow those guys away - because they researched all our suggestions - to make it worth changing. Here's the double-edged sword, which I find interesting. Classic network television story, when they wanted to put a laugh track on "M*A*S*H." Larry Gelbart did a test where he tested it with laughs and he tested it without, and he went to those guys and said, "Look, people responded the same way whether there were fake laughs in it or not." And the network said, "Well, great. Then we'll keep the laughs."
In the same vein, the network and studio are actively considering it. The story is out there that I fucked up the title, and we were actively searching for a change. I just care if it remains exclusionary. Who gives a shit? We'll call it "C-Town," but that actually sounds worse.
Yeah, that's almost dirtier.
Someone was suggesting "The Family Jules," and I'm like, "Why not just call the show 'Balls'? 'Nutsack'? There's no win." But if I could go back in time, it would be "The Courteney Cox Show."
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013
If picked up, would be first regular TV job in decades for the 'Soap' and 'SNL' alumWednesday, May 22, 2013
A Showtime leftover doesn't really fit at NBCWednesday, May 22, 2013