Press Tour: CBS' Nina Tassler shuts down Charlie Sheen talk, all other controversy
A brief, uneventful session about America's most-watched network
CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler is known for having one of the better deadpan senses of humor in the TV business. So when her press tour session (Fienberg has a full recap in his liveblog) opened with a question about "Two and a Half Men" star Charlie Sheen's latest widely-publicized shenanigans, it wasn't surprising - but was still funny - when she replied, "Boy, I really didn't expect that question this morning. So I'm really taken by surprise."
Tassler's response to the question was prepared, but it was also remarkably frank:
"On a very basic human level, (there's) concern of course. This man is a father, he has children, he has a family, so obviouslly there's concern on a personal level. But you can't look at it simplistically. Charlie's a professional, he comes to work, he does his job extremely well. As I said, it's very complicated. But we have a very good relationship with (the show's studio) Warner Bros. I have tremendous trust and respect with the way they're managing the situation. On a personal level, very concerned. On a professional level, he does his job, he does it well, the show is a hit. That's all I have to say."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
(It's here that everyone involved is fortunate that Sheen is playing so close to type. If he were cast as Charles Ingalls in a 21st century version of "Little House on the Prairie" and then getting into trouble for allegedly assaulting a porn star, the public would feel betrayed. But it's Charlie Sheen, playing a role not far removed from his public persona. What else do people expect?)
Tassler's response to the Sheen question was typical for the whole session, which clocked in at a remarkably brisk 23 minutes, the shortest network executive Q&A I can remember in a long time. It's not that CBS PR pulled her because they didn't like where the questions were going, but that we ran out of things to ask. CBS is the most-watched network on TV, but it's not a sexy network, news-wise - and has no interest in being so - and so Tassler shut down any potential storylines with ease.
Mark Harmon's "NCIS" contract is almost up? "It's kind of the nature of the business," she shrugged, confident a new deal would get done.
Reporters want specific thoughts on bubble shows? "Everything's up for grabs in May," she said non-committally.
Will the Thursday arrival of "American Idol" hurt "Big Bang Theory"? "'Idol' is 'Idol.' It's a force of nature," and, "There are enough eyeballs to go around. We think we'll do ok."
Finally, the room (also tired on the last full day of press tour) just gave up, and the session ended abruptly - no fuss, no muss, virtually no controversy, even involving Charlie Sheen.
News From Our Partners
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6: Kurt Sutter to Launch 'Talking Dead'-Style Companion Piece? The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
Steven Soderbergh biopic about Liberace is HBO's best movie in yearsFriday, May 24, 2013
Will gets lost in a case, and Lecter tries to protect Abigail HobbsThursday, May 23, 2013
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013