Nick Offerman to host the TCA Awards
Manly, mustachioed 'Parks and Recreation' star will emcee event on August 6
The Television Critics Association Awards just got several thousand times more awesome with the news that "Parks and Recreation" star Nick Offerman will be this year's host for the event, which will take place on August 6, near the end of the TCA summer press tour.
Offerman, ever the dry wit, said of the gig, â€œI am mighty flattered to be invited to speak in front of a crowd like this. The last time I was awarded such a privilege was in front of the Eagle Scouts disciplinary board, concerning what came to be known as â€˜The Astonishing Cowsh*! Incident of 1987â€™ in Grundy County, Illinois. I presume this engagement will end in a friendlier fashion for all concerned.â€
Offerman joins an eclectic tally of past TCA emcees. Some other recent hosts include Dax Sheppard, John Oliver, Chelsea Handler and Craig Ferguson.
Unlike most showbiz awards shows, the TCA Awards aren't televised. E! actually carried them once a long long time ago, and everybody hated how it turned out, so it went back to the loose, rambling, relaxed affair in which everybody gives long speeches where they don't have to worry about thanking their agents, nor about being cut off, and can actually say substantive things about the work they've done. As always, I'll be doing a write-up of highlights from the ceremony the next day.
This year's nominees will be announced sometime next week. I'm hopeful that Offerman's name will be there, as well as on the winner's list. (He was nominated last year but lost to Jane Lynch from "Glee.")
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013
Lecter becomes interested in a local killer, and Will begins hearing thingsThursday, May 16, 2013
A show that shouldn't have worked instead became a great, popular, influential oneThursday, May 16, 2013