Review: 'New Girl' - 'Normal': I wanna dip my balls in it!
Russell spends a night at the loft, while Winston starts a new job
A review of last night's "New Girl" — which was renewed for a second season earlier this week — coming up just as soon as I remember to use one of the baller metals in my design...
"Normal" didn't seem quite as effortlessly hilarious as several recent episodes did, but it still feels like the show is operating in that higher gear that's made it so darned likable.
Take a bit like the roommates teaching Russell how to play True American. Like many drinking games, the rules(*) seem like complete gibberish if you're A)a novice and B)sober, but the actors all threw themselves into it and made it seem like it made sense to them, which only made it funnier.
(*) If I know the Internet, then some enterprising "New Girl" fan already has a Tumblr in which they've extrapolated every single rule to the damn game. UPDATE: And, once, again, it turns out that I do, indeed, know the Internet. And then I know it some more. I'll leave it to you guys to decide which set of rules better fits what we saw.
Dermot Mulroney continues to be a shockingly good addition to the series, here doing a good job of showing Russell trying to take everything in the loft in stride even as he's confused and/or horrified by most of it.
And Russell's presence was one of several instances of the show taking advantage of characters, relationships and stories that had been set up previously to set up gags here. Schmidt and Cece's relationship wasn't a heavy focus like last week, but it was used to add jokes to scenes that were about other things, just as Winston's new job was augmented by reminders of the nanny gig he got at the Christmas party(**).
(**) And also augmented by the presence of former airline co-pilot Roger Murdoch.
The RealApps/Relapse subplot not only featured an idea of Nick's that wasn't completely terrible (combining an iPhone with a Swiss army knife would make fewer things for me to carry), but carried through Nick's crush on Russell as well as Schmidt's obsession with mentoring Nick.
"New Girl" isn't on the verge of turning into "The Wire: The Sitcom" or anything, but it's been around long enough to take advantage of the world it's built and the characters it's built to live inside it. And that's very good.
What did everybody else think?
(Also, this week's headline provides me an excuse to link to one of the best "The State" sketches ever: Louie at The Last Supper.)
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013