Review: 'New Girl' - 'Landlord': Send me on my way
Jess, Nick and Schmidt all struggle to read signals in an uncomfortable episode
A quick review of last night's "New Girl" coming up just as soon as I paint a sexually-charged zero gravity tea ceremony in my closet...
There have been episodes of "New Girl" that I felt haven't worked in one way or another, but "Landlord" was the first episode I outright hated. Outside of the brief sequence in the middle where Schmidt was telling Cece his problems and listing unsexy things ("What if I had a croissant blog?"), and possibly the choice of Rusted Root as Remy's mood music, I found nearly all of it painful, over the top, and/or miscalculated.
While I recognize that Jess is polarizing (which the show dealt with at length with last week's Julia storyline), I like her. I also like Nick. Yet by the time we came to the climax of their uncomfortable contest involving creepy Remy, I realized I wanted them to somehow both be wrong, because I disliked both of them so much in the context of this episode. And while Schmidt is generally a pretty broad character, his inability to differentiate flirting from conversation went way too far, and led to an episode that climaxed with one of the male characters on the verge of being molested to prove a point, and another one being beaten up by security guards who couldn't differentiate between sex and rape.
Uncomfortable all around. Like Armen Tamzarian, I'd prefer that we never speak of this again. (Except possibly Schmidt having a croissant blog.) Then again, I saw several tweets from people calling this a great episode, so I'll be curious to read your reactions. What did everybody else think?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
A Showtime leftover doesn't really fit at NBCWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013