NBC renews 'The Office,' 'Parks and Recreation' and 'Community'
With '30 Rock' already renewed, NBC's top sitcoms will all return
"The Office" renewal was the least surprising of the three, as it's the only one of NBC's comedies (including "30 Rock," which was already renewed earlier this season as a salve for being moved to 10 p.m.) to actually be successful on its own. So it was almost certainly going to come back. But nobody knows what the show will be like once Steve Carell is gone. (Of late, I've been of the opinion that things might actually get better, as the show has mostly been in a rut the last couple of seasons.)
"Parks and Rec" (which, as I noted this morning, has a fantastic episode on tonight) was a decent bet to come back, but not a lock, as its retention of its lead-in audience from "The Office" has been acceptable but usually not much more. But it's been great all season (and last season), and should get a bump from the overall interest in Carell's farewell episodes of "The Office." A new audience is coming slower to it than I would've liked, but I still think it's NBC's best long-term bet to succeed "The Office" if the post-Carell era is bumpy.
"Community," meanwhile, has been getting clobbered on the left by "The Big Bang Theory" and now on the right by "American Idol," but its own audience hasn't fallen off as much as we might have feared going into this season. Its audience is its audience, and as Bob Greenblatt looks to rebuild NBC, it makes sense that he'd bet on a quality show with a steady (if small) audience rather than bank on lots and lots of unknowns for next year.
Excuse me while I go do a dance of joy. "The Office" is a rerun tonight, but all the other NBC Thursday comedies (including the unrenewed "Perfect Couples" and "Outsourced") are new tonight.
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
A show that shouldn't have worked instead became a great, popular, influential oneThursday, May 16, 2013
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013
A badger gets loose at Cece's wedding, and Nick and Jess ponder their futureTuesday, May 14, 2013
Has the show solved Winston yet? What stories would she redo?Tuesday, May 14, 2013