'Louie' - 'Dr. Ben/Nick': Using the whole fist, doc?
Ricky Gervais plays the world's unfunniest doctor.
A quick review of tonight's "Louie" coming up just as soon as I take a knee...
Tonight's episode offered a little something for everyone within the subset of people (myself included) who enjoy Louis C.K.'s worldview and sense of humor. We got a broad, mortifying, R-rated, hilarious guest spot by Ricky Gervais as Louie's inappropriate doctor friend. ("This is the worst thing that's ever happened to me, and my dad hung himself in front of me, while masturbating.") We got some politically incorrect humor in the scene about how black people don't tip. We got a bit of slapstick in Louie's pathetic fight with Nick DiPaolo (the homophobic comic from last week's memorable poker scene). We got some straight-up drama (or, at least, wistfulness) in Louie and Nick's talk about aging and dying (or, worse, your loved ones dying before you), and we got two great stand-up bits at the front and back about Louie's aging body and then about the encounter with the "particularly" homeless man at the Port Authority. Lots of flavors there.
Of course, the flip side of the show's eclectic approach may be that it may only work in bits and pieces for you. You may like the stand-up but not enjoy Gervais at his smarmiest. Or you cackle at Gervais (even as he cackles at his own jokes) but get uncomfortable with the more serious moments. Etc.
At the moment, I'm loving all of it, and part of that is because it's such an unusual collection of styles, all of them somehow fitting together when filtered through Louie.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
Don and Stan get a special shot, the agency loses a leader and Sally meets her 'Grandma Ida'Monday, May 20, 2013
The Lannisters throw a wedding, Daenerys faces a new army, and Stannis meets GendrySunday, May 19, 2013
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013