'Lights Out' - 'The Shot': Training day
Lights tries to put off a comeback by mentoring another fighter
A review of tonight's "Lights Out" coming up just as soon as I come up with a song for my ring walk...
"Let someone else take the punches." -Theresa
I've only seen a couple of episodes past this one, so when I say that I'm sure this season is going to climax with a rematch between Lights and Death Row Reynolds, that's just common sense, not a spoiler from advance knowledge. As Warren Leight said, nobody's going to want to watch a show about a boxer who doesn't actually box.
But assuming that's coming, we have many episodes to get there, and in the meantime, Leight and company have to present various plausible alternatives for Lights, who's still (reluctantly) sticking to the promise he made to Theresa five years ago. In the pilot, he gave a shot at being a legbreaker for Brennan, which proved to be far more trouble than it was worth. And here, he tries mentoring Omar, hoping that he can get his fight fix vicariously through "the king of the Caucasus Mountains."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
(*) The script also makes the mistake of letting Lights say the sentence, "It's been rocky with the girls." If you are making a movie, TV show or other form of fictional story about a boxer, you never, ever want your main character - or any character - to use the word "rocky" (unless they're actually referring to Stallone), and you certainly don't want to do it in an episode like this one.
And it's around Barry that "The Shot" finds its strongest moments. I'm in the tank for Reg E. Cathey because of "The Wire," but I loved him so much on "The Wire" because he has such a natural yet electric screen presence. Barry's playing games within games within games, and Johnny is sure no match for him. But even though we're on Lights' side - and therefore mostly on Johnny's side - it's hard not to be at least a little bit pleased that Barry so thoroughly owns our hero's brother. (Also, using "Fred Sanford" as a hotel alias? Perfect.)
"The Shot" is definitely marking time for the show in a way, but in giving Lights his first real taste of the ring in a long time, it's also helping pave the road for the comeback we all figure is coming.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013
Some interesting pieces in a new sitcom from the 'HIMYM' guys, but it's a dead show walkingMonday, May 20, 2013