Hulu's Best in Show heads into round 3
No apocalyptic AMC drama match-up, but some Elite 8 surprises
We're now at the midway point of Hulu's Best in Show contest, as the Sweet 16 was pared down to an Elite 8.
In terms of the Round 2 match-ups, we had a disappointing but unsurprising result in which "House" crushed "Breaking Bad" (a much better show with a much smaller audience), but also the somewhat pleasantly surprising "Dexter" rout of "Glee." I had figured "Glee" had an easy path to the Final 4, but Showtime did a good job of organizing the "Dexter" fandom (and/or "Dexter" fandom did a good job of organizing itself) and steamrolled a show that's not only one of TV's most popular, but with one of the most adoring fanbases.
In fact, once I saw how Hulu had set up the brackets once I came up with the Round 1 match-ups, I would not have been the least bit surprised if the Final 4 included "Glee" and the winner of the "Vampire Diaries"/"True Blood" and "Fringe"/"Supernatural" match-ups from Round 1. Instead, no "Glee," no vamps and no monsters.
I'm bummed we won't get to see who fans would have chosen in the apocalyptic "Breaking Bad"/"Mad Men" match-up, while simultaneously relieved that I don't have to make that choice myself. I'll be curious if the superior numbers of the "House" audience are as potent against "Mad Men," whose ratings aren't that much bigger than "Breaking Bad," but which has a much higher profile overall. I'm also not sure how the "Chuck"/"Modern Family" tilt will go, where I feel reasonably confident that "Community" and "Dexter" will come out of their respective brackets, based on how things have been going.
So go vote, read my answers on the latest Hulu blog entry, and we'll all meet back here for the Final 4.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
Steven Soderbergh biopic about Liberace is HBO's best movie in yearsFriday, May 24, 2013
Will gets lost in a case, and Lecter tries to protect Abigail HobbsThursday, May 23, 2013
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013